Gibson F-4 Mandolins

A place for our musicians to post information about instruments lost, stolen, or otherwise missing.
Forum rules
This is the C&F-wide forum for posting notices of any instruments which have been lost or stolen, or have gone missing.

Titles should include at least the type of instrument (flute, fiddle, etc.), the place of disappearance, and the nature of the loss.

Example: Stolen: Generation D whistle in Timbuktu

Reports linked from other sources or internet sites should include the basic information in addition to just the link.

In order to limit cross-posting, and to keep reporting and information centralized in one place, a post linking to a notice here (but not a copy) may be posted in ONE other C&F forum, typically the forum of the instrument involved.

Of course, follow-up posts to announce found or recovered instruments are always welcome!

Thanks - Your ChiffCo Management
cocusflute

Gibson F-4 Mandolins

Post by cocusflute »

Two stolen Gibson mandolins. Both F-4s. One is in rough shape, one is in excellent condition. Both in original hard case. Stolen from my house in New Hampshire and probably sold in Vermont or NY state, about 20-25 years ago. Serial numbers are: 41016 and 74671.
I realize the chances are slim, but they've been in the family and it would be great to have them back.
Reward offered, of course. No charges pressed. I just want them back.
Thanks.

Edited: the thief's name was Wayne (aka "Slim" also "Butch") Baker. I understand he's dead now and good riddance. But if he isn't, be very careful.

Thanks for the support.
Last edited by cocusflute on Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Sorry to hear about this, cocus. You may want to post something on the Mandolin Cafe as well:
http://mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classif ... ifieds.cgi

Click on "Instrument Lost or Stolen" and post your notice there; Scott Tichenor often posts stolen instrument notices on the front page as well.

Best of luck with this.

rh
there is no end to the walking
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

After 20 years, the odds are that they're in the hands of someone who has every reason to believe they're the legal owner. I own a few vintage instruments, and I certainly couldn't tell you who owned them 20 years before me, or how that person aquired them.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cocusflute

Many years ago....

Post by cocusflute »

Yes- well, you never know. Things turn up.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Cork

Post by Cork »

With the understanding that the recovery of a stolen instrument could be unlikely at best, let me make a suggestion. Go to this site, http://www.flutenet.com/stolen.htm , and see the heading, "HAVE YOU HAD A THEFT or LOSS??" It's a matter of establishing a legal claim, getting the facts on record, and here, because theft could be a violation of state law, perhaps getting the facts recorded on a state police record could be more enduring than that of a local police department. It doesn't really matter that your claim could be twenty years after the fact (although I am certain that the time is long past any legal action), but it is important to have such a claim on record BEFORE your missing instrument(s) could be discovered. Possession may be 9/10ths of the law, but without a legal claim, your chances of any recovery are even worse, frankly. For what it could be worth, your heirs could also benefit from such a claim, but I am not trying to be overly optomistic, here.

I am sorry to learn of your loss.