It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 3940
Location: Stout's Valley, PA, USA
I was wondering if anyone here has had an opportunity to play the new Yamaha 400 series recorder. Any of you that might have been to NAMM recently, maybe?

Image

They are said to be similar in design to the 300 series recorders but are made from a plant based PLA (polyactic acid )material instead of the ABS that Yamaha has used for many years.

Just curious.

Feadoggie

_________________
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:21 pm
Posts: 1174
Location: Burkburnett, TX
US$34.50 on a couple different online stores. Antique Sound Workshop says they are only 30% Ecodear plastic. The other 70% is good old ABS plastic made from petroleum. ASW also says they are slightly denser and heavier (about 7%) than the Yamaha 300 series; the increased density supposedly gives them a tone "more like wood." How much "more like" is left unstated. Other than the material, they are identical to the 300 series. I'm not in the market for another soprano but look forward to someone's review.

_________________
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 18663
Location: San Diego, CA
Feadoggie wrote:
Any of you that might have been to NAMM recently, maybe?

I didn't see them at NAMM this year, but I wasn't looking for them. :wink:

_________________
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 3940
Location: Stout's Valley, PA, USA
Thanks for the replies.

walrii wrote:
US$34.50 on a couple different online stores. Antique Sound Workshop says they are only 30% Ecodear plastic. The other 70% is good old ABS plastic made from petroleum.
At $35 I am not a buyer. That's a bit higher than the street price for the current 312 and 314 models. And I have too many recorders at the moment. But I am curious about the new material. I do like the idea of a more ecofriendly plastic. And I was thinking about whistle applications of the material.

The 30% to 70% PLA to ABS mix settles some of my concerns/questions. I have experimented with PLA myself and it seems rather sensitive to temperature, at least as I know the material. I was concerned that a 100% PLA instrument might not hold its shape as well as the current ABS versions do. I do not need a plastic recorder that needs to be re-voiced (re-shaped) because of use in warm settings.

I had read that Toray plastics has developed processes that successfully alloy Ecodear with other polymers, particularly styrenes. And the only specific detail that they offer is that the PLA content is limited to 30%. So I would guess Yamaha is working closely with them.

MTGuru wrote:
I didn't see them at NAMM this year, but I wasn't looking for them.
I would not have thought anyone was looking for them either. But I figured there was an outside chance that a banana yellow Yamaha recorder in a fluorescent green case might have caught someone's eye. I did see photos of the Yamaha space at NAMM and I did not notice any of their recorders on display.

Thanks.

Feadoggie

_________________
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 18663
Location: San Diego, CA
Feadoggie wrote:
I did see photos of the Yamaha space at NAMM and I did not notice any of their recorders on display.

Yamaha would have been displaying mostly electronics (and guitars, etc.), and I pretty much avoided the electronics area this year. Plus, Yamaha weren't in the main hall, and I didn't even make it over there. At NAMM you're most likely to see recorders of any kind at one of the jobbers or one of the many (mostly) Chinese exporters exhibits. And after a few years attending, there's only so much of that stuff you can look at with any degree of interest unless you're a retailer.

_________________
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 3940
Location: Stout's Valley, PA, USA
MTGuru wrote:
At NAMM you're most likely to see recorders of any kind at one of the jobbers or one of the many (mostly) Chinese exporters exhibits. And after a few years attending, there's only so much of that stuff you can look at with any degree of interest unless you're a retailer.
I understand. Thanks.

Feadoggie

_________________
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:56 am
Posts: 32
Has there been any official word as to whether Yamaha plans to make larger recorders with this material?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.113s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)