Recorder in the Super Bowl

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
walrii
antispam: No

Recorder in the Super Bowl

Post by walrii »

We finally made the big time. The Doritos Super Bowl ad shows a guy on an airliner doing obnoxious things to scare off potential seat mates. Things like reading a book on Irratable Bowel Syndrome, faking a nasty cold and, well....playing a recorder (Yamaha alto, if I saw correctly). So, it's not the ringing endorsement we hoped for but any press is good press and it could have been worse. Jeff Bridges could have been playing a recorder in the SquareSpaces ad.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Feadoggie

Re: Recorder in the Super Bowl

Post by Feadoggie »

Wow. I spotted those too. I thought I was just being obsessive/compulsive in noticing that.
walrii wrote:Things like reading a book on Irratable Bowel Syndrome, faking a nasty cold and, well....playing a recorder (Yamaha alto, if I saw correctly).
Might be too short for an alto. I though it was a soprano myself. Probably not a Yamaha. The recorder only shows an ivroid head piece. The Yamaha 30 series and 300 series recorders would have had the ivroid head and two faux ivroid joint rings. Here's my guess for the culprit recorder. But then I am being pretty O/C about this.

walrii wrote:Jeff Bridges could have been playing a recorder in the SquareSpaces ad.
Right. Not a recorder or a whistle per se, but the Jeff Bridges ad was interesting as well. Better tone than the Dorritos guy certainly. After all, Jeff is actually a musician - and apparently a zen master. Hard to say what the instrument is actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCZebZzGJs

Sleep well.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That was Jeff Bridges?? :boggle:

I disliked that ad and wondered why the hairy crazy man was there selling his interpretive noodlings.
Feadoggie wrote:After all, Jeff is actually a musician...
You could have fooled me. But then, all we were given was, what? Three slow notes? And on a dubious instrument of no tone that I'd put myself behind.
Feadoggie wrote:...and apparently a zen master.
Actually he has learned Transcendental Meditation, if anyone's counting. Rather different from Zen in terms of method. A quick search reveals no report of his mastery, if TM counts such things.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

walrii wrote:Jeff Bridges could have been playing a recorder in the SquareSpaces ad.
With the flared bell and breathy tone, that has to be a Tonette or Flutophone.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

God help us.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote:You could have fooled me. But then, all we were given was, what? Three slow notes? And on a dubious instrument of no tone that I'd put myself behind.
Well in all honesty I was not saying that he was a musician based on that flute performance. He does have his own band and has played out for years. They might be called "The Abiders" IIRC. What else would he call them, dude? He seems to favor a Gretsch Tennessean.

The man has played Austin City Limits. If that does not make him a bonafide musician, well, I don't know what else would.

And he is one of the "Fabulous Baker Boys". Is he not?

Nanohedron wrote:Actually he has learned Transcendental Meditation, if anyone's counting. Rather different from Zen in terms of method.
Apologies for my personal ignorance. Should have said he is a man with many facets.
MTGuru wrote:With the flared bell and breathy tone, that has to be a Tonette or Flutophone.
Hmmmm? Is it too long for a Tonette or Precorder? Gotta be 15-16 inches long. Bridges is not a small guy.

From what I can see, the instrument has a narrow blowpipe, a rather slim body profile and that flared bell. I was thinking some sort of flageolet derivative. But the sound is not right for that IMO. Is it possible audio/video magic? Google has not offered me any better hints. Who know what it is?

I do suppose it might be a Flutophone's profile. You could be right on that. I'll download the video and see what a frame by frame look offers. How's that for O/C?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:He does have his own band and has played out for years. They might be called "The Abiders" IIRC. What else would he call them, dude? He seems to favor a Gretsch Tennessean.
Well gosh, this is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJm72H31do
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.