Bass recorder help!

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Malena
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bass recorder help!

Post by Malena »

Hi everyone!
I was hoping maybe some of you could help me with this: I've sort of inherited a bass recorder, I guess it looked a lot like this one http://www.kurtjacob.com.au/images/Hohn ... lassic.jpg
the thing is that the top cap is missing, I have the flute and the metal tube, but not the cap! I have talked to a flute maker but I don't think he's interested in making the cap for me.
So I want to ask a friend of mine who's a very good carpenter to help me out, the only problem is that I'm not sure how the inside of the cap looks like.
So, do any of you have an idea, or better yet, have one of these recorders and can send me some pictures of the cap? Or maybe you know another site where I could ask about this?
I would really appreciate some help! I've searched the net, but couldn't find the information I'm looking for, I guess these recorders aren't very popular :P

Tonehole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Bass recorder help!

Post by Tonehole »

Hi there,

congratulations on your bass recorder.

You don't need a cap to play it. Rotate the wind pipe of the headjoint so that it is underneath your chin and blow directly into it, so that the bodyjoint fingering is in front of you. This is more direct and powerful.

The bocal pipe which you have, inserts into the headcap. The design varies according to the maker. Do you know if this has any name on the head joint or body?

It looks like your expansion block needs some reworking, and the lip of the air channel to the fipple is also uneven, so it may not play consistently. You can find a lot of information on bass records on the Saunders.rec website as well as the ABRSM forum for classical players. They are great fun :)
Tim2723

Re: Bass recorder help!

Post by Tim2723 »

The cap on mine is simply a hollow cap that fits over the top and has a hole in the middle to receive the bocal. Your bocal is missing the cork on the receiver end and also the water key. Those will have to be preplaced.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info