Bansuri - hand reach advice

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bansuri - hand reach advice

Post by Squeakie »

Hi everyone,
I recently heard some lovely youtube videos of bansuri music by Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia. I understand that he often uses big bore flutes, around 28" in length or so, based on my internet research. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just love the deeper tones produced by these size flutes.
Anyhow, I have an 8.5 inch hand spread from pinky pad to thumb pad. How big of a bansuri can I play? I can't really find how far apart the tone holes are.
Thanks for any comments, Lisa
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Bansuri - hand reach advice

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Do you ever get down to Wisconsin, I'm over in Wausau. I have a ton of bansuri and would be glad to let you try them out in order to find what size/pitch would work well. I would advise doing that before ordering an expensive flute that might now be a good fit. I also have studied bansuri for a few years and could gladly get you started. Many makers will make what they call "female" flutes in that they are smaller bored and have an easier spacing. My first teacher Pt. Ronu Majumdar has quite small hands but can play gigantic bansuri. It's more mind over matter and developing flexibility and sensitivity in the hands.
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

Wow, very generous offer! If I do get that way for some reason, I will try to arrange something with you. I don't have the ability to travel right now, I am a hospice/respite care worker, about 60 or so hours a week and also take care of my mom. She still lives on her own, but I do the shopping,meds, meal prep, etc. She may go stay with my brother to visit this spring and give me some free time, maybe. I used to go through Wausau all the time when I drove 18 wheelers over the road. Thank you for the good advice, Lisa
bansuri Matt

Post by bansuri Matt »

hello- The E bansuri ( tonic E 3 holes covered, bass note B 6 holes covered) is the most common concert bansuri used by pros like Pt Hariprasad.

I started with a G bansuri (g tonic/D bass) which is about 25 inches long. At first I nearly gave up trying to stretch the right hand fingers, but other players said this was common for beginners and to keep at it and don't give up. I got my bansuri from Jeff Whittier in California. Slowly the fingers adapted to the stretch and I can play this flute comfortably now, and love the sound and the inner feeling it gives. I then started on a F tonic bansuri at 28 inches by Subhash Thakur, and it's just coming along nicely. Pt G.S. Sachdev plays mainly in F check him out on youtube. I'm planning to purchase an E bansuri soon which are about 30 inches. I would suggest starting out with a G bansuri like I did, it's a common bansuri to begin on and has a great sound and tone, great for contemplation and for the spirit. When you master this one you can move on to longer flutes. You'll need more than one bansuri anyway if you take to them! A word of advice, buy the best bansuri you can afford, avoid ebay. Have a look at One World Trading for different flutes. good luck!