two 6-hole flutes - looking for thoughts on value

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Michael Anderson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

two 6-hole flutes - looking for thoughts on value

Post by Michael Anderson »

My mother is asking if I'd try to find a fair value for a couple of wind instruments owned by my late stepfather, and I thought I'd try the place where the experts hang out...that said, I also know it might be difficult without having them in hand. Every suggestion is of course hugely appreciated.

The first is a Native American flute, which I know to be from the Seminole people and was purchased in Florida while visiting his brother, an Everglades park ranger.

The other is a 6-hole fipple flute of unknown origin, I believe he had it before he met my mother. He traveled extensively in Europe, but it's always possible he bought it in the States or Canada. It is square in cross-section and quite heavy.

Both instruments produce a nice (to my ears anyway) tone, and that's saying something as the totem on the NAF was untied when I received it and I had to go do some research online to understand how it went together. It would certainly benefit from someone who knew how to tie it tighter, as the tone improves when I press down on the totem.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
"There has been too little concern lately with what is right and good, and more about what will bring individual power. It is hard to watch such idiocy and not feel angry."

- Christopher Paolini, Eldest
Michael Anderson

Re: two 6-hole flutes - looking for thoughts on value

No recognition on the square flute? I don't really expect anyone to say "they're worth x dollars" - more interested in what country that one might be from...anyway thanks to those who dropped in for a look.
"There has been too little concern lately with what is right and good, and more about what will bring individual power. It is hard to watch such idiocy and not feel angry."

Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Google 'Tarka flute', or try this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarka_(flute)

The NA flute will be worth more, but neither afford you a vacation to a sunny place.
Michael Anderson

Thank you Flexismart! Not trying to sell them for myself, pleasant though a vacation to a sunny place would be. I would like to sell them for my Mom but no idea what they might be worth. I get the feeling there is a lot of range in the price of NA flutes. Maybe I'll just ask for offers and see what people do.

Not until after Christmas though - I have to start prepping some food ASAP in fact if I don't want my wife giving me the stink-eye when she gets home from work. Again, thanks, and have a happy Christmas.

Michael Anderson

Please note these two instruments are now offered in the sale/trade section of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=96325

ALL REASONABLE OFFERS, INCLUDING OFFERS OF WHISTLES, will be considered. Thanks for looking!