Gryphon

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
john

Gryphon

Post by john »

I heard a few tracks by this band on a compilation of folk-rock bands and was mesmerised by the playing of the woodwind player. I think it was the recorder being played but am not sure. I'm curious as to whether he is widely known and whether the band were ever successful. I must say myself that I thought they were first-rate.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Gryphon

Post by kkrell »

Recorders, crumhorns, & bassoon. They had 4 or 5 albums, eventually getting a more folk-rock sound. Recently re-united for a live performance, and may be an album for that as well. Actually a pretty well-known group, and solid performers.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I'd not looked at their home page for a while but it looks like they are taking more bookings for 2014 - http://www.gaudela.net/gryphon/.

Graeme Taylor, the guitarist, had a nasty broken leg just minutes before starting a gig with The Home Service this last Summer but that seems to have mended OK.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

They've been posted earlier. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71405&hilit=Gryphon
One of my all time favorite bands.
They really started life as a early music/folk group then morphed into what was called art rock in those days. Primarily acoustic although from the 2nd album on they had a electric bass player and a drum kit on the red queen album. Then on to synthes on the final two releases. Gulland and Harvey also played with Musica Reservata of London before forming Gryphon.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
will marshall

Post by will marshall »

I was a first-generation Gryphon enthusiast back in the early 70s and as a teenager was bowled over by Richard Harvey's recorder playing. His finger-tongue co-ordination still has the power to amaze. He later made some solo recordings, mainly playing baroque repertoire, but his main actvity, I believe, has been as a composer, including TV theme tunes and soundtracks.
The other woodwind player was Brian Gulland, on bassoon, crumhorn etc. For a short time he joined the renowned French folk-rock band Malicorne, for their Bestiare album. His current activities include the English folk group The New Scorpion Band (they've made several CDs) in which he plays low brasses and keyboards as well as bassoon, cor anglais etc.