Page 1 of 1

Turkish Kaval

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 am
by hidancity
Can anybody tell me what is a Turkish kaval? Is it simply a wooden version of the Turkish ney?

It looks more narrow and tapered than a Bulgarian Kaval. Two vendors are selling them on Ebay and they are rather inexpensive. I think I actually prefer a narrower bore for a sweeter sound than the Bulgarian version.

Here are some video's of guys using what looks like either a wooden version or pvc version.

This one looks like painted Pvc?

Re: Turkish Kaval

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:07 am
by MichaelLoos
In Turkey, the term "kaval" (= hollow) can pretty much mean any type of flute - except for the ney.
There are rim-blown three-part kavals like the bulgarian ones, one-part ones very much like the macedonian ones (these are the instruments in the video), but also fipple flutes or whistles (with the fipple in the front or the back) of several kinds that are all referred to as "kaval".

Re: Turkish Kaval

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 am
by hidancity
Thank you Michael! Yes, it seems to be a very broad term. I have a couple of Macedonian kaval's on their way. Like finding a needle in a haystack. I like the very narrow bore and thin wall.

I'd buy a good cane ney if I could find a reliable source.

I think the guy in the video is playing an instrument made in Turkey based on what I can see, it is the same wood, it has a taper, and a plastic embouchure/delrin? And obviously the guy is Turkish and the wood doesn't look as thin or narrow as a Macedonian kaval.

Kind of looks like this one which I ordered for a $100 bucks. I have no idea if it is any good but for a $100 bucks I'll give it a try. ... 2eb2c8c68f

Looks like this guy is blowing on one of those. Seems like a much narrower bore than the Bulgarian version he is playing.

Ok guy is awful and playing it incorrectly. But only video with a comparison I could find.