Dutch folk music sources in the ‘Garden of Musical Delights’

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MarkvN
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dutch folk music sources in the ‘Garden of Musical Delights’

Post by MarkvN »

I'm new to this forum; I hope I will not offend anyone by posting this little plug of mine. I surely hope it will be of use to some of you.

With a small community of volunteers we are running a blog called the ‘Lusthof der Muziek’ or ‘Garden of Musical Delights’ (http://lusthof-der-muziek.blogspot.com/). This is a website dedicated to the dissemination of rare musical sources from the Netherlands and Flanders from the 16th to the 20th century. Much of this music was traditionally played on flute and recorder (only second to the violin, I suspect). Obviously we'd like our work to be used by as many musicians as possible.

Over the course of time, loads of material have been added. Both famous and obscure sources from our folk (and ‘burgher’) tradition are now available online, often in various digital formats (abc, pdf, mp3, xml) and all free of charge. To give you a taster, some names and titles that will do ring a bell with people who are familiar with the tradition, are Balmer, Hanekuijk, Kiers, Speets, de Gruijtters, De Oude en Nieuwe Hollandsche Boerenliedjes en Contredansen, De Hollantsche Schouburgh and De Nieuwe Hollandsche Schouwburg. Also available are some treasures which until recently had escaped everyones attention, such as three manuscripts bij the family Van Bolhuis, a charming manuscript for keyboard by a guy named Mentjot, the manuscript ‘Musicq Boek 1740’, and several volumes and fragments from famous series that were published in Amsterdam and were presumed to be lost.

I hope to reach any Dutch and Flemish musicians on this forum, but maybe also people who trace their ancestry to the Low Lands, and of course anyone else who might be interested. Please have a look and take advantage of the efforts of our industrious volunteers who produced these transcriptions. The writing is in Dutch, but we installed the Google translator, which should at least give you an inkling of what each source is about (and the dots can do without, obviously).
Thanks for your interest,
Mark
MTGuru

Re: Dutch folk music sources in the ‘Garden of Musical Delights’

Post by MTGuru »

Welcome, Mark, a nice site. I'm not quite sure where your announcement fits here. Some of the pieces are playable on whistle, but our World/Folk Winds section seems more appropriate, covering general flutes and recorders. So I've moved it here with a link. - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
megapop

Post by megapop »

Hi Mark, this is very cool!
Only yesterday I dusted my recorder to noodle around some van Eyck (sort of)... perfect! :)
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I hope to reach any Dutch and Flemish musicians on this forum, but maybe also people who trace their ancestry to the Low Lands, and of course anyone else who might be interested.
I am not sure what angle you're taking there but I get the same sort of queasy feeling I get when I hear people with one Irish ancestor three generations back come on here declaring they want to play the whistle because it's their heritage (or worse 'it's in my blood').

Why not approach the music at hand on it's own merits? You're dealing mostly with 17th,18th and 19th century music, the popular music of it's day. Hardly anything that could be classed as a living music. Ancestry doesn't really come into it.

That said, you've amassed an impressive collection of music (and fair play to you for the effort and dedication that have gone into it) and anyone with a bit of interest can spend a lot of time going through it. But music belongs to those who play and appreciate it, regardless of where they are from.
My brain hurts

MarkvN

Post by MarkvN »

@ MTGuru Thank you for finding the appropriate place. I wasn't sure where to fit in.

I'm not sure if it would be necessary here to mention that the meaning of the Dutch word 'fluit' or 'fluyt' (in the titles of several publications) seems to have changed gradually in the course of time and can either be a recorder, a flute/traverso, a tin whistle (pennywhistle), or a combination of those.

And as I hope my earlier posting made clear, anyone who feels triggered is invited to come and have a look. This repertoire is a much endangered species - no risk of getting diluted by too much attention.

Thanks,
Mark
MarkvN

Post by MarkvN »

New in the Garden of Musical Delights: a transcription in modern music notation of a sizeable Dutch Lute manuscript from around 1600, with a very international collection of songs and dances. Available in pdf, abc, musicXML, myr and computer generated mp3:
http://lusthof-der-muziek.blogspot.nl/2 ... -1630.html