It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 pm 

Hi is it possible/easy to make a native american flute but with a more standard scale. like C (no sharps/flats).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 pm 

meoweth wrote:
Hi is it possible/easy to make a native american flute but with a more standard scale. like C (no sharps/flats).

Yes, several people make them. Google for "diatonic native american flute".

Personally, I think it loses the character of the NAF.

Victor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 pm 

This looks interesting as well, but not prepared to drop 600 on it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sacred-Heart-Fl ... 19d37dafa6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:28 pm 

meoweth wrote:

I would think it is possible because from what I have seen you can play almost any note on a six hole NAF flute. My suggestion is to contact Tom or Lily at www.stellarflutes.com. They are very nice people that will be able to accurately answer your question. They also sell flutes and kits to build them.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:04 am 

I would also add that many native american flute makers make flutes that can play both the traditional native american scale as well as the diatonic scale. One that I am familiar with is Ugly Boy Flutes located in north carolina.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:52 pm 

denwenz wrote:
I would also add that many native american flute makers make flutes that can play both the traditional native american scale as well as the diatonic scale. One that I am familiar with is Ugly Boy Flutes located in north carolina.

Just coming from the perspective of a professional flute maker I have to point out that there is no traditional scale. Old flutes never had one particular scale, I own many old flutes(and exclusively build old style flutes) and they are all across the board. I think what many of you are thinking about is the modes 1 & 4 fingering which produces a pentatonic minor scale if the left hand ring finger is kept down. The promotion of this fingering stems back to Michael Graham Allen, it's not traditional, it was just a standardized fingering on his flutes that other makers picked up on. Doc Payne was a legendary flute maker and he always had a diatonic scale on his flutes. Having a diatonic tuned flute is no less traditional than the already modern modes 1 & 4 fingering. Many makers will make diatonic flutes on request. Contact one of your favorite makers and see if they will do it.