Eagle bone flutes / grenadilla recorder question

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
meoweth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Eagle bone flutes / grenadilla recorder question

Post by meoweth »

I have a friend who has told me the humerus (shoulder to elbow) of an eagle makes a great flute, have anyone of you heard of this?
The fingering of his flute has the embouchure of a shakuhachi/xiao and 6 holes on top, 1 bottom, and he swears on this.
Let me know if anyone knows where I can source such a bone or an actual flute from a maker. Also, Im not talking about endangered eagles, just the ones that are plentiful and pestful.

Off-topic question, is grenadilla really that good for a soprano recorder? Or is it not worth the hype? Im thinking about adding that one to my collection eventually.
Steve Bliven

Re: Eagle bone flutes / grenadilla recorder question

Post by Steve Bliven »

meowmeow wrote:I have a friend who has told me the humerus (shoulder to elbow) of an eagle makes a great flute, have anyone of you heard of this?
The fingering of his flute has the embouchure of a shakuhachi/xiao and 6 holes on top, 1 bottom, and he swears on this.
Let me know if anyone knows where I can source such a bone or an actual flute from a maker. Also, Im not talking about endangered eagles, just the ones that are plentiful and pestful..
Probably best posted in the World Flutes Forum. However, I suspect you'll have a hard time getting a real eagle bone for a flute. As far as I know, all US eagles are endangered. Native Americans have some exemption for religious purposes. There are several entities that make reproduction eagle bone flutes and whistles, but none that I know of use 6 holes. Most are like ocarinas with three top holes and one bottom. For example, check this version.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

meowmeow wrote:I have a friend who has told me the humerus (shoulder to elbow) of an eagle makes a great flute, have anyone of you heard of this?
Let me know if anyone knows where I can source such a bone or an actual flute from a maker. Also, Im not talking about endangered eagles, just the ones that are plentiful and pestful.
Historically, flutes of varying types have been made of any hollow structure, bird bones included. It took a while for early man to develop the lathe. So long narrow bones, like those leg bones of cranes, were the PVC pipe of the day. Culturally, I don't think any modern human should be thinking of knocking off birds to make flutes - they sing nicely on their own thank you very much. Legally, let me know when you take your eagle and please provide your address so I can send some folks round to talk to you about it. There's nothing humorous about it.
meowmeow wrote:Off-topic question, is grenadilla really that good for a soprano recorder? Or is it not worth the hype? Im thinking about adding that one to my collection eventually.
Grenadilla is ideally suited for woodwinds. It is hard, dense and even grained. It exhibits terrific dimensional stability. There are many suitable timbers. The wood matters little compared to the design and craftsmanship of the maker. There are many accomplished makers. And of course the skill and experience of the player also trumps all of that. Better to play than collect. You can only play one at a time.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

You can make similar flutes from the corresponding bones of large birds, like swans, flamingoes, and in fact any with a large wing span. In the Andes quenas are made using condor wingbones. My way (NZ) there are albatross bones to be found on the beaches. Since I live about 200 meters from the beach, by now I have a few. They are illegal to trade, but not illegal to pick up on the beach.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And other bones ofcourse : here is an old clip of Paul McGrattan playing a whistle made, by Nick Adams, from a whalebone found on the beach at Spanish Point, Co Clare
My brain hurts

Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

American Indians use an eagle bone whistle with no finger-holes for religious ceremonies, such as the sun dance and the Native American Church. I think the fine for just possessing one is $5,000 for non-Indians. There are no "plentiful or pestful" eagles. A turkey bone makes a good substitute and is legal to possess and easy to get.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ted wrote:American Indians use an eagle bone whistle with no finger-holes for religious ceremonies, such as the sun dance and the Native American Church. I think the fine for just possessing one is $5,000 for non-Indians. There are no "plentiful or pestful" eagles. A turkey bone makes a good substitute and is legal to possess and easy to get.
Not to mention, tasty :D

I agree with Feadoggie that the choice of wood matters little. As long as the timber is reasonably hard, dense, and smooth grained, it can make an excellent recorder or whistle. OP-- what recorder are you currently playing? The model, voicing and maker's skill is likely to make much more difference if you decide to upgrade than the choice of wood.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Don't cook the bone first. Let the raw bone dry out then soak for a day in white gas (Coleman fuel) to de-fat it. Let dry a couple of days, then use it.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

On the other hand, if you're still interested in Blackwood recorders, I posted this a couple of days ago:

viewforum.php?f=35
Got wood?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Paul, I assume you meant this:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93547
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

fearfaoin wrote:Paul, I assume you meant this:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93547
Thanks-- wonder where the rest of that URL went. :-?
Got wood?
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

FWIW, Amon Olorin ofers a "Replica Eagle Bone Whistle" (I'm assuming ABS) modeled after an eagle ulna (7/16" x 7 1/2" = 1 x 18 cm)
midwestmutt

Post by midwestmutt »

High Spirits flutes makes a replica eagle bone flute out of porcelain which looks very much like real bone, especially after it's gotten some wear on it.
VicDiesel

Post by VicDiesel »

meoweth wrote: Off-topic question, is grenadilla really that good for a soprano recorder? Or is it not worth the hype? Im thinking about adding that one to my collection eventually.
I have a grenadilla soprano that was several hundreds more expensive than the same model in boxwood. Fully worth the difference. Beautifully clear and tight sound.

Victor.