Didgeridoo

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Caroluna
antispam: No

Didgeridoo

Post by Caroluna »

Anybody here play one?
Feadoggie

Re: Didgeridoo

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, I do now and then both as drones and percussive accents. I am not a particularly well skilled player though. Truly primal sound.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie wrote: Truly primal sound.

Feadoggie

Feadoggie,

You or the doo??? :lol:

Cheers mate,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

It's something I read about as a way to improve your breathing...that got me interested, and next thing I know I found one on sale at Amazon.com :lol: So I know absolutely zero about it. How did you get started learning?

It is a unique, primal sound. In some ways it reminds me of a synthesizer, too.
hidancity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by hidancity »

There are a ton of how to video's on youtube. And also listen to David Hudson for demonstration of the capability of the instrument.

I too bought one because there was one on sale at a local Guitar Center. It's kind of cool as I'm into shamanic type instruments. That being said, it makes my knows itch. So I ain't very good at it. As far as the breathing goes, it disturbs my lung capacity for smoking cigarettes.

Seriously, it's a cool instrument. Not sure I'll ever play it or take the discipline to figure it out any more than I already have but it's fun to listen to. For a period of time.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

hidancity wrote: It's kind of cool as I'm into shamanic type instruments.
:thumbsup:
What else do you play?
I'd like to get a berimbau one of these days...

Well the didge arrived in the mail today.

It's not made of PVC. It's some sort of plant matter. The description at Amazon says "bamboo" but the interior looks too pithy for bamboo. Anyway, I'm pleased with it -- it's much prettier than it looks in the picture!

Took it for a test drive -- spent about 10 minutes making random f@rt noises, then suddenly got a sound about an octave lower. Teeth started to itch. Put it aside for a while. Came back to it an hour later, got the low sound again, suddenly went into another mode that was about twice as loud and had more harmonics. Whole face started to vibrate. :boggle:

:lol:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Cayden wrote:You or the doo???
When you play you become one with the didg. There's no discerning between the two. Your breathing becomes part of the vibrations of the universe.
Caroluna wrote:How did you get started learning?
I started playing before the Internet was a public resource so I read a few books to get started. That's not the way to go about it. I was fortunate enough to listen to a couple of people give demonstrations over the years and that helped a lot. Once the Internet arrived and various audio and video media came on-line things opened up considerably. YouTube is full of clips and tutorials now. Still it is well worth reading about the traditions pertaining to the playing of the didg and also the symbolim of artwork that generally adorns the instrument. Heck, just read as much as you can about aboriginal life and customs in Australia as you can.
Caroluna wrote:It's something I read about as a way to improve your breathing...
Yes, it certainly can be a help there. I think a lot of wind instruments can be a help though as can singing. The didg is the only instrument where I have actually tried to master circular breathing.
Caroluna wrote:In some ways it reminds me of a synthesizer, too.
Yes, in some ways it has the same vibe as synth pad voices but the dynamics are far more organic and I think more immediately flexible. No dial tweaking. No batteries required either. It is the simplest of wind instruments. Any tube cam be used as a didj. We used the plastic sleeves sold in golf shops to keep club shafts from banging around in the bag as didgeridoos for the kids - really cheap and an easy diameter to learn on. Makes a great noise on the sidelines of a soccer match - not quite vuvuzela but intense none-the-less.
Caroluna wrote:I'd like to get a berimbau one of these days...
And I do have one of those as well. Actually, I've collected instruments for many years. My wife has a cousin who was stationed with her husband in Brazil with the State Department. She brought mine back from Brazil. I've not mastered anything on it. But reading about it and how it is used in capoeira was enlightening. Someday.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.