Pibgorn YT clip/Cadi Ha'

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pibgorn YT clip/Cadi Ha'

Post by jemtheflute »

In preparation for Saturday's (27:4:13) Gwyl Cadi Ha' festival in Holywell & Mold, Flintshire, N. Wales, where I shall be afflicting the good folk..... a new recording on my Pibgorn of the Cadi Ha' Processional dance/song tune. There is full info and links to more (including notation) on the YouTube blurb - just click the "Show More" tab.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Pibgorn YT clip/Cadi Ha'

Post by mutepointe »

Could you please tell us the reaction you get when you pull out that instrument and start playing it among friends and family who have never seen that instrument before? My family would probably roll on the floor in laughter. (They're not that musical.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, my friends and family are pretty used to me doing weird stuff, and a good proportion of 'em are at least as weird on their own account. :o But yeah, what you said isn't too bad an approximation of one typical response. Another is for folk to clap their hands to their ears and run away screaming: Benhall1, for example. :poke:
But seriously (and often to my own surprise), quite a lot think it's odd but awesome, and loads want to have a go. I got a lot of unsolicited compliments for it during and after the Cadi Ha' procession and dancing out on Saturday, and at the evening Twmpath ("ceilidh"/barn dance).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Who me? Yes, I think the world would be a better place without the shouty, bleaty excrescences. They look unnecessarily weird, and they sound dreadful. So bleugh!

Here's what I would rather be doing any day rather than even hear (let alone listen to) one o' they hideous bloody popcorn thingies:

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Thank you jem (but not benhall). I am glad I am in good company.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, this should keep our immoderate moderator off this thread quite effectively, then..... :poke: :wink:

There's a short article about the event. Typical journalistic hyperbole, mind - very, very few people not directly involved/participating "attended", and Holywell High St. was pretty much dead (as is sadly the norm nowadays) in terms of shoppers/casual passers by.

If you click the link, there's a gallery of fairly decent photos and also a rather scruffy compilation video of the dancing, though unfortunately nothing of the initial procession (with a mistaken inclusion from some other event at the end of it!!!).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You're not fooling us, Jem, with that fake YouTube clip. We know there's a screen in the end of that thing, and a plastic baggie and matches in your pocket.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:You're not fooling us, Jem, with that fake YouTube clip. We know there's a screen in the end of that thing, and a plastic baggie and matches in your pocket.
???
:really: I think the "atmosphere" in California must be addling your wits, or something, MTG. :poke:

No smoke!
And Mr. silly billy scaredy-cat cloth ears Hall can attest to the fact it really makes a sound, even if he doesn't like it. :D

Philistines!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Here's what I would rather be doing any day rather than even hear (let alone listen to) one o' they hideous bloody popcorn thingies:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Normal life, then? You should branch out a bit, live a bit...... :poke:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I guessed "pibgorn yt" meant something to do with popcorn. Boy, was I wrong.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Blimey, 3 consecutive moderators in one thread! Probably 'cos you're the only Chiffers who (perforce) regularly peruse this forum.......

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Perforce? Perforce??

Oh, that's right - given the propensity for relict amusements like timber flutes and the pibgorn and stuff, no one should be surprised that you might likewise pepper your speech with quaint obsolescences. My bad. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Indeed. (?)
Whose relict?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

By the way, what's "pibgorn player" in Welsh?

(This is not a trick question. Honestly. I'm guessing it's pibgornydd...)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mmmm. I don't actually know. My guess is pibgornwr (s), pibgornwyr (pl). I'm asking from Welsh speaking friends - will let you know! Of course, the generic pibydd (= "piper") would serve.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums