Name this Flute!

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
argofoto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Name this Flute!

Post by argofoto »

I was wondering what kind of flute this is... and I was searching Indian flute but I get a lot of Native American flutes... if anyone can help steer me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egHCxISQG9o
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Name this Flute!

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Thank you so much! This will be added to the list of what will be my next whistle/flute... (Caval or Bansuri or Low D.... or all three :D )
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

One last question, would you happen to know the "common" scale for the raag/kirtan, such as the one I posted?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

argofoto wrote:One last question, would you happen to know the "common" scale for the raag/kirtan, such as the one I posted?
From this website:
Raag Shivanjali: This is a newly composed raag of Pandit Chaurasia where he offers his prayers to Lord Shiva. This is a late evening raag and the mood created is devotional. Orginating from raag Malkauns, this raag differs from the former by the use of both the gandhars (instead of komal gandhar), both nishaads (instead of komal nishaad) and pancham to create a meiditative mood. The recital starts with the alaap, an introduction to the raag where the melodic possibilities of the raag are gradually unfolded and expanded, followed by jod, where a pulse is introducted to the music and there is a further expansion of melodic range and gradually the tempo increases and more technical elements are introduced in jhala as the alaap approaches the climax.
I've found conflicting info on-line as to the basic note progressions for Raag Malkauns (also Malkaush, Malkosh). As for the rest in the above concerning how Shivanjali differs from Malkauns, I'm afraid I'm of no help, either. I do know that with a raag, it's not just about the set of notes involved, but how you play them, and this also includes when ascending or descending. And there's probably way more to it than that. I'm out of my depth, here.

[EDIT] Aha: Searching further, what I think you are asking for is not the raag but the basic fundamental mode, or Thaat, that the raag is built from, which is in this case Bhairavi. It corresponds to the modern Western Phrygian mode (shown here below with C as tonic).

On a D whistle, the Phrygian mode would be the scale you get starting from F#.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Wow.... thanks, I have a lot more research to do!