starting with alto recorder

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
malayo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

starting with alto recorder

Post by malayo »

just bought my self a yamaha alto recorder. it is equit big from cheap recorder that i used to use when i was at primary school 13 years ago.

having it brings back memories and too bad i had lose music notes to start practising again.

any tips to relearn playing recirder and be good at it to a point i can create my own notes?
Tim2723

Re: starting with alto recorder

Post by Tim2723 »

Hello Malayo and welcome!

The Yamaha recorders are very nice and a good bargain for a low price. Congratulations!

It is much bigger than your old recorder because it is an alto - a lower voice. Your school recorder was a soprano - a higher voice.

If you bought the recorder new it should have come with a fingering chart. If not, we can point you to good charts on the Internet.

The first secret to getting good sound is to cover the holes completely. Any small leaks of air will ruin the notes. You also need to practice the fingerings for each note until you no longer think about them. Also, you must practice a steady breath of air. It must be just strong enough to get good tone and very even.

The recorder is a fine instrument. I'm sure with practice you'll have many years of fun with it!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
malayo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: starting with alto recorder

Post by malayo »

Thanks for that tip. I did not know about soprano and alto before.