Can't decide between flutes.

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
HunterGatherer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Can't decide between flutes.

Post by HunterGatherer »

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble deciding which flute to buy. The choices are the quena, the quenilla, and the bamboo whistle.
I really like the sound of all of them, especially the quena. I'm intrigued by rim blown flutes, and wanted to try playing one, but at the same time I worry that I'll never be able to make a sound with it.

I also have no idea what key to get. Quena's are usually in G, quenilla's in D, but are other keys just as good?

Thanks,

HunterGatherer.
Big_e
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Can't decide between flutes.

Post by Big_e »

Well made quenas can be hard to find, let alone, quenas in different keys. All the quenas I have are in G. A good place for quenas, (I only like them because they are from my home country) is Alcasami store which is based in Peru, http://www.alcasami.com/servlet/the-MUS ... Categories . They also have quenillas and quenachos.

For a beginner, I would recommend the quenas with a tapered end, that is, the end hole is smaller than the actual diameter of the flute body. This store has both flutes with tapered ends and flutes with wide open ends.

The difference is that the tapered end will allow for more wind resistance so that a beginner player blows less in order to get a good sound. Tapered end flutes are easier to play and easier to get the higher notes but may not be as loud as a professional quena.

A professional quena will have a wider bore body and the end hole will be wide open. These flutes are loud but may be harder for a beginner to play and reach the higher octave.

Study the pictures on the website or wherever you get your quena to check the end hole. I practice on mostly tapered end quenas and am happy with them.
Ernest

PS: The pvc quena listed on the website is really easy and fun to play. It has good sound. I take mine most everywhere to practice when I can.
Zeal is its own excuse.