How to Contact Milton Zapata? ( Update )

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
NAFGUY
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How to Contact Milton Zapata? ( Update )

Post by NAFGUY »

Hi guys -
Would anyone know how I can contact Milton Zapata to order a pair of Quena Flutes?
I sent Tony Hinnigan two E-mails, on 5/11 & 5/12, to get some info about acquiring these two flutes, but have not heard from him. I know he is probably very busy (and I should be patient), but I was wondering if there is some 'other' way to get a message to Mr. Zapata.

Thanks much,
Ron

Mr. Tony Hinnigan just E-mailed me with an offer to send me Mr. Zapata's address and phone number.
Soooo, I will be ordering a pair of his Quena Flutes as soon as we work out the details.
MARANA THA!
10Thistle

Re: How to Contact Milton Zapata? ( Update )

Post by 10Thistle »

Have you worked things out for your Quena Zapata grail? By a twisted path (Shakuhachi, low D whistle...) I've come to the Quena "party" and want a well-made one. Is there anything you can share? How long have you been playing? What other Quenas do you have? Sampedro (http://www.unmundodebambu.com.ar/quenas2i.htm) in Argentina seems to know what he's doing but I've seen Zapata's name floating about as the best maker per T. Hinnigan...
NAFGUY

Post by NAFGUY »

Hey 10Thistle -
A C&F member PM'd me today and shared a lot of good information about his experiences in acquiring Quena Flutes from several different makers. He mentioned that he did get a Zapata Quena, but that is was a challenge, and ended up being quite expensive. I've decided that since there are other good Quena makers around from whom I can purchase flutes more easily, I'm going to contact them over the next few days - Un Mundo de Bambu - Checho in Peru - Jeff Whittier - Mark Hoza.
I currently have a pair of Quena's on order from Juan Acha in La Paz, Bolivia.

I've been playing the Native American Flute for 6-7 years and am just now beginning with the Quena (and the Tin Whistle).

Ron
MARANA THA!
10Thistle

Post by 10Thistle »

Share your journey...I came across what look to be well crafted "mid-tech" Quenas by educciman http://www.educci.de/ . He posts on the whistle forum from time to time with hybrid whistles he comes up with. Sadly he stopped selling them for demand was not high enough. Check out the sound files and the photos of what is possible wood-wise are very nice. If you read french or spanish there is http://www.flutesbaroques.com/andine.php ...lots of good info and seemingly high quality...
NAFGUY

Post by NAFGUY »

10Thistle -
Thanks for the 'leads'. I've already contacted Martin at educci flutes about making a 'Verdi' tuned Quena, and he declined.
I will contact flutesbaroques tomorrow, Monday, and a few others.

Talk to ya later,
Ron
MARANA THA!
10Thistle

Post by 10Thistle »

Yeah, from what I can gather Educci wants to make and sell in quantity. His quenas were CNCed.
10Thistle

Post by 10Thistle »

A couple more leads to chase...don't have a Quena from either.

Erik the Flutemaker is a witty and good hearted guy. He makes all kinds of flutes, among which the Quena...http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Quena.htm

Quena Flute Maker is a site I just found...http://www.quenaflutemaker.com/

Just rcvd a Quenacho (D) and Quena in G from Angel @ Un Mundo de Bambu. Enjoying playing the Quenacho so much I haven't tried the G. He uses a hard wood (beautiful and big variety) inlay on his costlier Quenas to better shape the WindWay Edge.

I got into the Quena through the Open Whistle tour on the C & F whistle forum...http://www.open-whistle.com/en/?Media
hidancity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by hidancity »

10Thistle wrote:
Just rcvd a Quenacho (D) and Quena in G from Angel @ Un Mundo de Bambu. Enjoying playing the Quenacho so much I haven't tried the G. He uses a hard wood (beautiful and big variety) inlay on his costlier Quenas to better shape the WindWay Edge.
Angel's quenacho's are pretty killer. But I just got one from a luthier in Boliva made from Padauk. Hauntingly deep! And a quena from Boliva made from Black walnut and a quena from angel made from guayacan tree. Exceptionally hard wood with a beautifully fluty flavor and rich overtones.

There are tons of amazing luthier's in Equador, Chili, Peru doing great things. It kind of sucks liking this instrument and living in USA or a non-S. American country. U really have to turn over every stone to find them, speak spanish and make contacts to find them. But worth the effort if you can find that one amazing quena.
10Thistle

Post by 10Thistle »

Sounds like you've bagged a few on your hunt in a short time. I think my next Quenacho will be closer to home from Geoffrey Ellis of Earthtone flutes. He makes a number of different kinds. I see you've gone for wood. You might try bamboo for a different sound--what I'm playing...
hidancity

Post by hidancity »

10Thistle wrote:Sounds like you've bagged a few on your hunt in a short time. I think my next Quenacho will be closer to home from Geoffrey Ellis of Earthtone flutes. He makes a number of different kinds. I see you've gone for wood. You might try bamboo for a different sound--what I'm playing...
I have quite a few bamboo quenacho's in both D and Eb. Only one wood quenacho.

Geoffrey Ellis is quite the artist with his flutes. I have one of his tranverse flutes. Stunning!

Have you tried Angels G yet? What do you think? Challenging? Try that third octave yet?
NAFGUY

Post by NAFGUY »

Hey Guys -
Just got home from work and thought I'd mention a few things. I did contact Angel at Un Mundo and he agreed to make a Quena in Verdi tuning, but not with the Black Limba wood that I prefer. He said that he does not lathe the wood himself, but buys the finished tubes from a man that turns the blanks for him, and then he builds the flutes. He thought that it would be kinda expensive for me to ship the wood to him and then have the other guy turn it. So, I'm going to think about this for awhile.

Also, I ordered an 'F', Verdi tuned, Quena from someone that was mentioned on the Flute Portal several times - Enrique Rueda. His web site does not say anything about his Quena's, but we've been discussing all week what I want in a flute, and he said that he will order the wood right away and start building it in about 4-5 weeks.

And, I think that Mark Hoza, from Australia, will be building a 'G' & a 'D' for me in a few months. I had Gilmer Wood drop ship a 'billet' to him at his friends house this week. He is on vacation in the U.S through Monday and said that he could take it back home with him and save me the shipping expense.

BTW, I contacted Geoffrey Ellis about a month ago about getting a Quena from him, and he told me that he does not make them anymore. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask him anyway.

Talk to ya later,
Ron
MARANA THA!
hidancity

Post by hidancity »

Ron,
Let us know how it goes with all those custom quena's especially the Mark Hoza. Interesting notch he has going on there. Kind of squarish, similar to Jeff Whittier who makes a nice quena, very very well tuned. But Hoza's doesn't shave his notch. Looks more like a chinese xiao notch except square. Could have an interesting sound. Usually the square notches cut down the range of the instrument which might not be a big deal for you. You can't get a full two octaves from Jeff Whittier but he tells you that up front. I can squeeze out a 3rd ocatve G but it is not musical.
NAFGUY

Post by NAFGUY »

hidancity -
I'm still waiting to hear from Mr. Hoza about whether he received the wood that I had sent to him. (I hope so!)
He told me that he should be able to get started on the Quena's in July. Don't know how long he takes to build flutes, but I'll let you know when I get them and how it goes.

BTW, I understand that you have a Quena from Qawary Peru. What key did you get, and what is your impression so far?

I've been in contact with Ruben at Qawary recently about getting a custom flute in A=432 Verdi tuning, and made with Black Limba wood. He has agreed to do it. So, I'm curious about what you think about your's.

I also am interested in getting two quality Panflutes, and am searching several websites now. Might get one from Qawary. They sure look good on his web site!

Talk to ya later,
Ron
MARANA THA!
hidancity

Post by hidancity »

My Qawary quena is in F. I bought it from one of the Peruvian guys playing in the subway. He had a suitcase of them and asked if we would sell me one. I think it is an excellent quena! The notch is well done. My experience so far, the most important part of the instrument. Bad notch and it's kindling wood.
Klaunstance

Post by Klaunstance »

[ Thread revival - Mod ]

Can vouch for this guy, superb quality instruments and excellent service:

http://www.originalartisan.com/products/woodwind/