quena chin?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Big_e
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: quena chin?

Post by Big_e »

Zeal is its own excuse.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I grew one as a pot plant once
a potted plant, folks ... Ah, the joys of English. :lol:
As you say, the joys of English. The phrase "potted plant" to a Brit would imply one that was probably steeped in butter and compressed into a jar to preserve it for later consumption.
maki

Post by maki »

benhall.1 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I grew one as a pot plant once
a potted plant, folks ... Ah, the joys of English. :lol:
As you say, the joys of English. The phrase "potted plant" to a Brit would imply one that was probably steeped in butter and compressed into a jar to preserve it for later consumption.
English is a joy, so is Engrich!
barry_e

Post by barry_e »

[ Thread revival ]

Darn - this is what I've got!

I bought a quenacho made from Jacardana and I got an almost immediate reaction to it. When I put the instrument to my chin/lips I felt a hot, acidic sensation and then I cam up with a red welt on my lower lip.

However, because of its position, I presumed the reaction was caused by my concert flute whose lacquer had worn down. I have an allergy to nickel, so I assumed it was that and send my flute to be re-lacquered. It turns out that the lip-plate was brass :lol: (it's a cheap, student flute).

So, I've just had another go on the quenacho and, yes, I experienced that burning sensation on my lower lip.

I've tried holding my quenacho against the underside of my forearm for five minutes to see if I get a reaction but I don't. My theory is that the reaction only happens around the lips and chin because of the fact that the material is held against a) a relatively sensitive area of skin b) with some pressure c) for some time and possibly d) on a frequent basis, so the combination of all these creates the reaction.

But I'm no dermatologist.

Shame though - my first quena/illo/acho and I'm allergic to the thing! :cry:

I'll try medical tape.
CactusWren

Post by CactusWren »

[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

I hope it's okay to revive the thread briefly. I benefited from it and wanted to add to it.

I quit playing my rosewood (jararanda) kena/quena I bought from Andean Nation because of a sore that would develop under my lip after playing it. I assumed it was due to the pressure. After reading this thread I realized it could be the wood.

Not having any medical tape, I just put a bandaid over the bottom of the tube. It seems to have completely solved the problem and I can now play as much as I want! Great for me, not so great for my wife!

Thanks, chiffandfipple. :thumbsup: