It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 am
Posts: 131
Big_e wrote:
Yes it is. A shame since it is such a beautiful wood too.
Ernest


I know :(


Well ... maybe get the best of both worlds?

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=6699

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... s_id=11988

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... s_id=13111

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=9899

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=2486

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=9377

http://www.boliviamall.com/catalog/prod ... s_id=13712


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Dallas, TX
Thanks for this. Of course, it does nothing to cure my quena acquisition syndrome.

gregwhistle wrote:

_________________
Zeal is its own excuse.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 12453
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
I grew one as a pot plant once

a potted plant, folks ... Ah, the joys of English. :lol:

As you say, the joys of English. The phrase "potted plant" to a Brit would imply one that was probably steeped in butter and compressed into a jar to preserve it for later consumption.

_________________
"Only connect!"

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm
Posts: 1441
Location: L.A. California
benhall.1 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
I grew one as a pot plant once

a potted plant, folks ... Ah, the joys of English. :lol:

As you say, the joys of English. The phrase "potted plant" to a Brit would imply one that was probably steeped in butter and compressed into a jar to preserve it for later consumption.

English is a joy, so is Engrich!

_________________
Southern California Uilleann Pipers Club


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 1
[ Thread revival ]

Darn - this is what I've got!

I bought a quenacho made from Jacardana and I got an almost immediate reaction to it. When I put the instrument to my chin/lips I felt a hot, acidic sensation and then I cam up with a red welt on my lower lip.

However, because of its position, I presumed the reaction was caused by my concert flute whose lacquer had worn down. I have an allergy to nickel, so I assumed it was that and send my flute to be re-lacquered. It turns out that the lip-plate was brass :lol: (it's a cheap, student flute).

So, I've just had another go on the quenacho and, yes, I experienced that burning sensation on my lower lip.

I've tried holding my quenacho against the underside of my forearm for five minutes to see if I get a reaction but I don't. My theory is that the reaction only happens around the lips and chin because of the fact that the material is held against a) a relatively sensitive area of skin b) with some pressure c) for some time and possibly d) on a frequent basis, so the combination of all these creates the reaction.

But I'm no dermatologist.

Shame though - my first quena/illo/acho and I'm allergic to the thing! :cry:

I'll try medical tape.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
 Post subject: Re: quena chin?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:36 pm
Posts: 12
[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

I hope it's okay to revive the thread briefly. I benefited from it and wanted to add to it.

I quit playing my rosewood (jararanda) kena/quena I bought from Andean Nation because of a sore that would develop under my lip after playing it. I assumed it was due to the pressure. After reading this thread I realized it could be the wood.

Not having any medical tape, I just put a bandaid over the bottom of the tube. It seems to have completely solved the problem and I can now play as much as I want! Great for me, not so great for my wife!

Thanks, chiffandfipple. :thumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.253s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)