Hybrid Kaval

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hybrid Kaval

Post by paddler »

I've been enjoying this video of Nadishana demonstrating a range of different techniques for blowing an end-blown flute. It makes me want to learn how to play Persian ney, Arabic nay, Turkish ney, kaval, shakuhachi, etc. But he does it all on a single flute, switching back and forth between techniques. Very cool stuff!

Hybrid kaval
NZJLY

Re: Hybrid Kaval

Post by NZJLY »

So awesome, almost makes me want to give up :really:

I would love to try some of the instruments he is playing (if you go to the ethnic instruments page), may have to have a go at making some :D

John
onewheeldave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by onewheeldave »

paddler wrote:I've been enjoying this video of Nadishana demonstrating a range of different techniques for blowing an end-blown flute. It makes me want to learn how to play Persian ney, Arabic nay, Turkish ney, kaval, shakuhachi, etc. But he does it all on a single flute, switching back and forth between techniques. Very cool stuff!

Hybrid kaval
Much appreciated- I've visited his website and the instruments on there are fascinating.

Does anyone know anything about this one-

http://shop.nadishana.com/index.php?pag ... =1&lang=en

the 'Tsaaj Nplaim'?

It's clearly some kind of reed instrument, yet it's side blown like a flute. The sound is other-worldly.

There's 2 videos on that page and it looks like he must be blowing into some kind of chamber on the top- he's definitly not blowing across a hole, as in flutes.

Does anyone know how it works?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I believe it works like a bawu. It has a small free reed that is mouthblown. I think the reed is similar to a harmonica reed. Search bawu.
onewheeldave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by onewheeldave »

Thanks for that. It definitly looks like a bawu. I should have realised there was a chinese connection as I'm pretty sure I've heard that sound on a few chinese film soundtracks.

Brilliant concept to combine a harmonica style reed with a flute body- I'm not a big harmonica player, but I've always been impressed by the amount of tone variation/bending that you can get with the reeds.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

onewheeldave wrote:
paddler wrote:I've been enjoying this video of Nadishana demonstrating a range of different techniques for blowing an end-blown flute. It makes me want to learn how to play Persian ney, Arabic nay, Turkish ney, kaval, shakuhachi, etc. But he does it all on a single flute, switching back and forth between techniques. Very cool stuff!

Hybrid kaval
Much appreciated- I've visited his website and the instruments on there are fascinating.

Does anyone know anything about this one-

http://shop.nadishana.com/index.php?pag ... =1&lang=en

the 'Tsaaj Nplaim'?

It's clearly some kind of reed instrument, yet it's side blown like a flute. The sound is other-worldly.

There's 2 videos on that page and it looks like he must be blowing into some kind of chamber on the top- he's definitly not blowing across a hole, as in flutes.

Does anyone know how it works?

It works similar to bawu, but is not tuned per say. It usually is spelled Raj Nplaim. Here is a good example of how it is played: http://youtu.be/tXCXapjF13w
I have a whole bunch of em for sale for a heck of a lot cheaper than this Nadishana guy wants. I live in an area with a lot of Hmong people and have grown up hearing their music in school, cultural fairs, on the radio, etc.....