Folks familiar with the sogeum?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
gregwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Folks familiar with the sogeum?

Post by gregwhistle »

So, I ordered and received a sogeum, or a cheap plastic facsimile of one ;) Pure impulse.

It came with a teeny tiny fingering chart, in Korean ...

Does anyone here have any good references for this instrument? Fingering charts, sheet music or titles for tunes closely associated with the instrument, etc?

Googling seems to turn up the same paragraph or two, in various contexts. Nothing too helpful.

Yes, I'm sure I can figure the fingering/scales out ... but can anyone with some experience save me some time and make it less painful? :D
gregwhistle

Re: Folks familiar with the sogeum?

Post by gregwhistle »

Anyone? :lol:

Well, after noodling with it some more, I can get enough of a note now to see that it seems to be in a major scale after all (when I first posted, I wasn't so sure :o ). So I can probably work it out myself somewhat better than expected :) It may just be a simple 6-hole piccolo ...

Still, wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with sogeum experience :)

This is the beastie, BTW:

scottie

Post by scottie »

Wish I could help but that is the first time I have heard of one of these. You might want to check with Eric the flute maker. He seems to be very knowledgeable in all types of flutes from other countries. His web site is : http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/

Hope this helps.

Scottie
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Hmm ... after even more noodling, I'm certain that the right hand middle finger hole is a half step flatter than "normal".
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

scottie wrote:Wish I could help but that is the first time I have heard of one of these. You might want to check with Eric the flute maker. He seems to be very knowledgeable in all types of flutes from other countries. His web site is : http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/

Hope this helps.

Scottie
I think I'll try that ... it's still puzzling me :-?
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Well, I emailed Erik the flute maker. He was kind enough to reply, but he is not familiar with this flute. :(
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I am trying to still figure out the hole sizes (they look the same) and the spacing (oddly spread on the far side hand).

To bad we don't hafe the fingering chart and some one that can translate it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

What do you want to know exactly? I studied daegeum for 4 years, and played sogeum, tungso, and tanso as well. If you scan the chart I can write on it the English translation of the notes. It's more or less the same fingering as jeongak daegeum.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Also, the sogeum(and all other Korean flutes) are not diatonic in the usual sense. So don't expect to play a major scale, it doesn't exist on the instrument. I used to own one sogeum that was specifically tuned to play western music but these are a custom order sort of item.
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

I have a usable fingering chart now (from this ebay posting) so that's covered. :thumbsup:

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:What do you want to know exactly?
Well, now that I have a fingering chart, it would be nice to know the names of some traditional or typical tunes played on this instrument? :)