Best starter wind for a 6yr old? Tonette?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
scottie
antispam: No

Re: Best starter wind for a 6yr old? Tonette?

Post by scottie »

I think the Tonette would be good. I remember learning music on one of these in the third grade and it was not difficult at all. That was back in 1956. Since they are not expensive buy one if not for now it would be something to grow into. If it appears too difficult for a six year old , find something easier because if it turns out too difficult it will be discouraging for the student. I do not think it would be as big of a challenge as a recorder especially for a six year old.

Scottie
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

I know this thread is about winds, but my 6 year old is doing well learning to play some simple children's songs on the harp. Harps are expensive though and fortunately ours is on loan from her music school. She has 1/2 hour per week and in just a couple months has learned a lot.

My 4 year old can play some simple stuff too. The harp seems easier for them than piano.

Next my 6 year old does recorder so that will be interesting.
cadancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cadancer »

Waldorf schools use recorders, but do not start with them. They start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwVqhqAVIQ

The pentatonic scale is nice as pretty much anything you play sounds good.

...john
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

cadancer wrote:Waldorf schools use recorders, but do not start with them. They start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwVqhqAVIQ

The pentatonic scale is nice as pretty much anything you play sounds good.

...john

Hmm ... so after watching this and doing some cursory Googling, I'm still wondering: what is a Choroi "flute"?

Is it just a penny whistle with a pentatonic tuning? Or something else?

Can I make it out of PVC as "easily" as a penny whistle? Wouldn't mind making one or more for my kids, but I don't really want to pay the prices I was seeing in my searches for "Choroi flute".
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

cunparis wrote:I know this thread is about winds, but my 6 year old is doing well learning to play some simple children's songs on the harp. Harps are expensive though and fortunately ours is on loan from her music school. She has 1/2 hour per week and in just a couple months has learned a lot.

My 4 year old can play some simple stuff too. The harp seems easier for them than piano.

Next my 6 year old does recorder so that will be interesting.
What about a "Melody Harp" (or is that what she is borrowing already)?
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

gregwhistle wrote:Hmm ... so after watching this and doing some cursory Googling, I'm still wondering: what is a Choroi "flute"? Is it just a penny whistle with a pentatonic tuning? Or something else?
... I spent a little while investigating these as well. From what little I came up with, the source of the name seems to be obscure. The instrument itself would seem to be a large-bore whistle, presumably chosen for it's relative "squeak-proof" properties, the large bore automatically limiting the easily available harmonics. The choice of pentatonic tuning does have the "difficult to make a bad sound" advantage.
So in answer to your question "Can I make it out of PVC as "easily" as a penny whistle?" ... yes, start with a relatively large-bore pipe, I'd suggest a minimum of 18mm bore, just leave out a couple of the finger-holes and incorporate a thumb-hole for the high note :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Kypfer wrote: So in answer to your question "Can I make it out of PVC as "easily" as a penny whistle?" ... yes, start with a relatively large-bore pipe, I'd suggest a minimum of 18mm bore, just leave out a couple of the finger-holes and incorporate a thumb-hole for the high note :)
Thanks Kypfer!

How do you incorporate the thumb hole into the construction process? Do you drill it (and/or tune it) first? Last (as the highest note, I would think this is the right answer)? Something else?

Is there any guidance for placement (beyond "can reach with thumb")?

And what is the high note that it allows? Just one note higher than the other holes?

==edit==
I found one fingering chart that goes (high to low):

E (all holes, including thumb, open)

D (thumb hole closed)

B

A

G

E

D (all holes closed)

Does that seem reasonable for a homemade PVC "Choroi-like" whistle?
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Looking at the YouTube video again, there's also an RH4 hole (little finger, right hand), giving a probable range of C (all fingers down) to E (all fingers and thumb off).
Approximate dimensions "eyeballed" from my own 18mm bore "Ultra-Mellow" 8-hole soprano D whistle (with a low C) :
Centre of "window" to the very end of the instrument : 290mm
Measuring up from the "far end" to the centre of the holes :
RH4 (offset to fit comfortably) : 55mm
RH3 (also slightly offset) : 80mm
RH2 : 109mm
RH1 : 118mm
LH3 : 149mm
LH2 : 171mm
LH1 : 189mm
Thumb : 198mm - BUT my thumb-hole is drilled for D#, playing D-nat with the thumb-hole open and LH2 down, like a recorder.

DO NOTE this whistle plays C D E F# G A B C# as the finger-holes are progressively opened ... you will need to adjust the hole-spacing to suit a different scale, but these dimensions should give you a good start :)

Edit thought : of course, if you simply don't drill my F# and C# holes, you've more or less got just what you want :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."