WTB: Silberton descant recorder (Hopf etc.)

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

WTB: Silberton descant recorder (Hopf etc.)

Post by Peter Duggan »

See my post in the 'Used Instruments Exchange'...

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=84013
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
JackCampin

Re: WTB: Silberton descant recorder (Hopf etc.)

Post by JackCampin »

You mention in the ad that they were sometimes made with German fingering - I wasn't aware of that.

If somebody offered me one with German fingering I don't think I'd be absolutely put off by it. Inconvenient but not a show-stopper.

I was in a session/workshop last week with somebody who had both soprano and alto Silbertons (and isn't going to part with them this side of the tomb; I asked). I was using a green plastic Yamaha descant, precisely because it isn't very assertive (I didn't want to hog the show). I was a fair bit louder than she was, regardless. Maybe it's easy to play Silbertons very softly?
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: WTB: Silberton descant recorder (Hopf etc.)

Post by Peter Duggan »

JackCampin wrote:You mention in the ad that they were sometimes made with German fingering - I wasn't aware of that.
Neither was I till Google pulled this up earlier...
http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=77767#3102870

(On which note, I was already aware that Dick Lee uses them, having seen him do so and discussed it with him.)
Maybe it's easy to play Silbertons very softly?
FWIW I'd say they're quite loud, but I just like the sound (and haven't really played about with the adjustable voicing much)!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?