Rundown on inexpensive panflutes? (Korean Angel / Trophy ?)

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MatthewVanitas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rundown on inexpensive panflutes? (Korean Angel / Trophy ?)

Post by MatthewVanitas »

I'm looking to recommend some friends get panflutes, but I really don't know what the reasonable/affordable options are short of $200 carved maple instruments. I know there are Latin American cheapies of bound cane, but I've owned plenty of those (and some were murder to play) and I'm leery of them since it's easy for any schmuck to just twine some bamboo together and chuck it on eBay, but that doesn't make it a good sounding instrument that won't cause one to black out from oxygen deprivation.

I just picked up on eBay, for $12 shipped, a small white plastic panpipe marked "Trophy" and "Angel" as well as "Korea". Might I assume these are the same folks that make the Chiffboard-respected $5 fifes? If so, are the panpipes decent too? Anyone know where to find more, or should I just email any steady eBay sellers of Angel fifes and see if they can get some panflutes in their inventory?

I could've sworn that in the past I've seen some basic 2-octave ABS panpipes in the $50ish range that were respectable, but can't quite find them now. If anyone can recommend a reliable make/source in the <$100 range, that'd be great to have. It's a really overlooked instrument, and though it has some slightly goofy connotations, I think I can help "sell" it as a learning option by referring to it as "that flute in the Kill Bill soundtrack."
I.D.10-t

Re: Rundown on inexpensive panflutes? (Korean Angel / Trophy ?)

Post by I.D.10-t »

Don't play them, so for what it is worth...

'bout the only one that I have seen is the Aulos Pan Flute. Shopping around will find them for below $100 range. Good luck.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MatthewVanitas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Rundown on inexpensive panflutes? (Korean Angel / Trophy ?)

Post by MatthewVanitas »

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll add Aulos to my list. EDIT: are they also marketed in the US as "Rhythm Band Pan Flute" ? Seems to be the same product and even same logo on the case.

I also found another option, synthetics by Groth Music.

10 Note Synthetic Panpipe (Pan Flute) $ 27.95 -Buy Now.
12 Note Synthetic Panpipe (Pan Flute) $ 29.95 -Buy Now.
15 Note Synthetic Panpipe (Pan Flute) $ 36.95 -Buy Now.
18 Note Synthetic Panpipe (Pan Flute) $ 43.95 -Buy Now.
They also carry the "Hall Glass panflute" for $50ish

EDIT:

There's also Brad White, who runs http://www.pan-flute.com and makes a variety of maple panflutes. His start at $99 for a 15-pipe starter set with instructional materials, etc. He also has a wooden 10-tube pentatonic for $65, which is a cool idea.