Romanian NON-Panflutes?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
JackCampin
antispam: No

Re: Romanian NON-Panflutes?

Post by JackCampin »

There are transcriptions of Moldavian Hungarian kaval music in Balogh Sandor's book/CD "Moldvai Hangszeres Dallamok".

Written notation is quite hard to use for an instrument where so many different harmonics are used.
Zabava77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Zabava77 »

MichaelLoos wrote:I don't know anything really about the Moldavian ones, but for a Romanian caval the scale is right IMO - a caval I had many years ago had the very same scale.
I doubt very much you will find any written music but youtube will give you a good few results if you search for "romanian caval". Marin Chisar, Ion Laceanu and Dumitru Zamfira (among others) are accomplished caval players, it is well worth looking for recordings of their playing.
Thank you, it is quite helpful! :)
Festina Lente
Zabava77

Post by Zabava77 »

JackCampin wrote:There are transcriptions of Moldavian Hungarian kaval music in Balogh Sandor's book/CD "Moldvai Hangszeres Dallamok".

Written notation is quite hard to use for an instrument where so many different harmonics are used.
Looks like I should improvise and learn by listening...
Festina Lente
argofoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by argofoto »

Wow, I've been looking so long for some info on Romanian fluiere, google only gave me Romanian music store recorders and youtube videos that made my eyes go :puppyeyes: ...

I am going to Romania for Christmas and New Years, about two weeks total, flying in Bucuresti, flying out Cluj so I will be travelling at least half the country. I haven't found any website for craftsmen of fluiere, but if anyone knows of any I would be sure to stop by on my travels and pick some up.

Adding a few videos to the list of already awesome videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... XBG2ad0k2s (I am trying to find this guy online, no success)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... 7meQI&NR=1 (this is the one I'd like to get - key of E??)

The caval sounds amazing but to be honest I prefer the high fluiere like the ones shown in the above. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone in my family that is musically involved that could steer me in the right direction. I'm sure I may find cousins of cousins and eventually get somewhere but by that might take too much tzuika.... Otherwise, I have high C and D pennywhistles and trying to improv with varied success.
Big_e

Post by Big_e »

Beautiful flutes! They look so much like the thai flute, khlui. The flute I bought off of ebay plays almost like a tin whistle except that it has 7 holes, the 8th is not played and a thumb hole. It's backwards in that the upper index hole acts as the thumbhole and the the thumbhole is the high note.
Ernest
Zeal is its own excuse.
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Thai flute? I might be going there next Spring, where did you find yours and do you have any links for it? I am super interested :D
John
Big_e

Post by Big_e »

Edit
Last edited by Big_e on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeal is its own excuse.
Big_e

Post by Big_e »

Here is the link to the seller's ebay store. http://www.ebay.com/sch/hanumanjeaw/m.h ... 7675.l2562

The flute I bought is this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/THAI-FLUTE-BROW ... 3a7bab1274

Ernest
Zeal is its own excuse.
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Thanks for the video!