Advice/ help on starting a flute-making business

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
James_Alto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Advice/ help on starting a flute-making business

Post by James_Alto »

ftdevilliers wrote:Thanks for the empathy.

Actually, getting someone to give a reference for a flute of mine, shouldn't be such a costly venture: It would basically require that I make a flute and send it via post to the person, wherever in the world that person might be. That person could write a reference in the form of a letter, perhaps, in PDF format, containing the person's contact details, and e-mail it to )me. So, whoever might be willing, could contact me via e-mail: f t d e v i l l i e r s (d0t) g m a i l (d0t) c o m [*address slightly modified for the sake of spambots].

It is after experimenting with many different kinds of materials (clear perspex, high impact plastic, IPS plastic, copper pipe and bamboo) that I have decided on PVC for the sake of it's loud and deep tone and good octave tuning that I have been able to achieve. From a purely practical point of view, PVC is a very workable material, considering that I do not have access to any power tools; I do everything by hand.

What do you suggest as a euphemism for PVC? Do you think "Folk Winds" is understandible enough, though?

Email sent!

I wonder if you really need to include the type of material in the title - many flute makers do not. Personally, I see silver as rather gimmicky and expensive, but unfortunately my favourite flute is made from .925 silver - I can't fathom if the material makes a difference, since many flutes made of bamboos; rosewood; plastics sound superb.

It seems to me, that one challenge you face, is that you are making a very conventional and traditional style of flute, using a very modern material. Now hand-made flutes command huge respect when made well (with quality control and consistency over batches), but the combination of 'hand-made' out of PVC presents a different kind of expectation to most wind players. Personally I've never tried a PVC flute - I have a few ABS recorders, although I like the earthy husky root xiao flutes, as well as the elegance of the baroque boxwood flute. There is nothing wrong at all with PVC - maybe experimenting with highly coloured impact plastics will pull in a certain market *shudder* as well other materials. Perhaps its best to steer clear of bamboo, unless you have a working knowledge and supply source of the different bamboo varieties.

My guess is, if you market your PVC flutes as 'Polymerised Folk Wind Instruments', or 'Polymer Sounds' you'll attract a massive google hit, just for curiosity. Equally, if you marketed it as' Astro-Flutes' for native American flutes or 'Cosmoflutes' for Russian ethnic flutes, or 'Taichoflutes' for chinese dizi flutes, you would stand out of the crowd.

But at the end of the day, it all depends on the calibre of the flute!
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

I like the idea of, perhaps, adding a specific name for the area to it. In Uganda, in central Africa, the shepherds make and play a flute with the exact same notch as a Kena/ Kenacho. There is also a Recorder-like instrument made very easily by simply cutting a small U-shaped notch at the point where the root closes the tube and there is also a Kaval-like instrument, which is end-blown.

So, I suppose, it depends what tradition one considers one's flutes to be rooted. I suppose many traditional flutes from various cultures developed out of similar inventions across contitents and cultures.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

ftdevilliers wrote:I like the idea of, perhaps, adding a specific name for the area to it. In Uganda, in central Africa, the shepherds make and play a flute with the exact same notch as a Kena/ Kenacho. There is also a Recorder-like instrument made very easily by simply cutting a small U-shaped notch at the point where the root closes the tube and there is also a Kaval-like instrument, which is end-blown.

So, I suppose, it depends what tradition one considers one's flutes to be rooted. I suppose many traditional flutes from various cultures developed out of similar inventions across contitents and cultures.

When I have time, after going through the types of flutes you can make, it might be useful to compile an introductory text to each flute, and how it is keyed/fingered for playing.

The shukuhachi's U shaped notch, is similar to the root xiao's V shaped notch (also U shaped notch), and many others. I think most newcomers struggle with this kind of embouchure, more so than say, a fipple :)

I wonder if it's useful to classify flutes according to ease of play:

1. Fipple blown (Low embouchure skills +/- labium present)
2. Aerophones (like the transverse Boehm flute, which has no labium or fipple)
3. Notched flutes (which require air to strike it at an angle)

Then people visiting your site, will be able to direct themselves according to where their skills are at.

The musical classification system e.g. Pentatonic minor, major, or diatonic major scales - I don't think will make a flute seem as attractive, to people who don't know what these scales are. This kind of classification will only appeal to people who understand what a pentatonic scale is used for.

Can't wait to hear how your project flutes are coming along :)
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Just a few thoughts:

About the name, I think you have a point in choosing one that explains your business idea of making flutes from PVC tubes. The PVC bit is a bit scary though, so perhaps simply "plastic" would work? A bit of retro ring in that as well. Further, you might want to explain that you make traditional flutes, which would point at something like "plastic tradition flutes". And as you suggested, a geografical name adds interest. Is my memory playing tricks, or did you mention somewhere that you live in Africa? So, my suggestion would be somthing like "Kampala plastic tradition flutes", meaning that the flutes are from Kampala (or Durban or Nairobi or whereever) rather than that the tradition is from there.

And as James_Alto said, notched flutes are tricky things. So a "how-to" section on how to get sound out of them might be a good idea. That would indicate some difficulty in playing while saying that the difficulty can be overcome.
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

Hi Everyone,

I have taken everyone's advice to heart.

Have a look at this link: https://sites.google.com/site/modernethnicflutes.

It's my next attempt. I have only posted info and video clips of a Shakuhachi and Quenacho I have made. Looking forward to your comments.

Francois.
ftdevilliers

Post by ftdevilliers »

The website is called, "Modern Ethnic Flute."

Thanks to AltoJames for the idea.

Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/modernethnicflutes
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Francois,
Thanks for the link ... quite nice ... you need a spell-checker ... "Janapese Shakuhachi"

The audio in the clips is a little quieter than I usually find on the web, I had to crank the volume knob well to the right to hear anything at all :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."