Recorder brand Lyons and Harmony, are good?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MusicXXI
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Recorder brand Lyons and Harmony, are good?

Post by MusicXXI »

(I have some questions on recorders, so please point me to the right place, if a moderator decides move the topic, its ok!)

Guys,

I recognize only the Yamaha as well relative to Recordes, because I am Brazilian and only Yamaha is marketed in Brazil, but there are other brands abroad that might be good too, but I dont know because not marketed here.
(Do not know if I can post the link here, the reference model of these flutes I've seen) anyone know these two brands below:

http://www.amazon.com/Lyons-Premium-Rec ... 286&sr=1-8

and

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-30-Set-5- ... 703&sr=1-1

Has anyone tried one of these?

And compared with Yamaha, the difference is stark?

Thanks
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Recorder brand Lyons and Harmony, are good?

Post by MTGuru »

I've never heard of those brands. Lyons is a division of Selmer USA, Harmony of West Music. But it wouldn't surprise me if those instruments were made in China.

It looks like these recorders are targeted at the school market as Orff instruments, etc. They may be OK, but maybe not. I've tried a few inexpensive Chinese-made recorders that were basically unplayable. Especially with the larger instruments, you're taking a big chance.

By contrast, Yamaha and Aulos have a solid reputation for offering good quality plastic recorders. For example, the Yamaha Rottenburgh recorders are excellent in their class, and are even played by professionals as their second instruments. I have the soprano YRS312B and alto YRA312B, I've played them both in concert, and I'm very happy with them.

So if I were you, and you have access to Yamahas in Brazil - then yes, I would choose those. The difference between Yamaha and Lyon/Harmony may be stark.

Good luck!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Both the Lyons and Harmony recorders bear a strong resemblance to the Aulos brand, enough that I might think they are re-labeled for sale in other countries. I do not know if that is the case, though. Of all those you've mentioned, I would recommend buying the Yamaha instruments. They are well known as good-quality in their price range. I own them, and I am very pleased. If the Yamaha are available to you, it will be difficult to find a better recorder for the same money.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info