Are these cross fingering patterns universal?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
CelticMusicLover
antispam: No

Are these cross fingering patterns universal?

Post by CelticMusicLover »

Hi! I found a fingering chart for the gemshorn which includes cross fingering patterns. Are they "universal", or do they only work on Pavel Číp's gemshorns?
Kypfer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Are these cross fingering patterns universal?

Post by Kypfer »

A Gemshorn is effectively an ocarina-type instrument (there's a special name, "helmholtz resonator"), so the fingering could be fairly random, depending on the placement of the holes. In practice, most instruments seem to follow the "logical sequence", as does this one, similar to a "Tonette", "Song Flute" or "Flutophone", all of which are 9-hole instruments.

An interesting variation, if you've not seen them, are the Mountain Ocarinas at http://www.mountainsocarina.com/ ... using the same fingering pattern, but with both hands "in parallel", one either side of the instrument.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

There are folks who don't believe that the universe is universal. I doubt a fingering chart could make the grade either. Maybe it's like how clothing is described these days, "One size fits most."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Indeed, you might find that those fingerings aren't universal even for all of Pavel Cip's gemshorns.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

On an open-ended woodwind instrument the basic fingering is dictated by the fact that the shorter the sound wave, the higher the note. So essentially you are shortening the wavelenght by progressively uncovering the fingerholes from the bottom up. (Let's not go into cross-fingering, as it complicates matters, but does not disprove it.)
In a closed woodwind the total area of open space is the biggest influence. So, the larger the sum total area of fingeholes open, the higher the tone. In theory you can put the fingerholes anywhere, as long as they follow a pattern of small to large size for consecutive ones. (Having said that, it is a guideline, rater than a concrete-cast rule. There are other factors influencing it all, but the most important is still the one above.)