hand cooing

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

hand cooing

Post by mutepointe »

Walden's Ocarina post was my first ever link to hand cooing. My wife said she knew about hand cooing her whole life. She was surprised I hadn't heard of this. Her first boyfriend could do this. She thought it was a Native American thing because his whole family could do this. Her last husband is going to learn how to do this too. Starting today. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: hand cooing

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have always heard it referred to a loon call.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Check out this link. It's way more than a loon call.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzqY0ck ... re=related
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Yep saw the clip, I have just never heard it called hand cooing.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That's what I'm going to call it I am. I'm a social worker. I need to stay away from the word "loon". Not politically correct.
白飞梦
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

That was especially cool, but I didn't hear an ocarina, just a pair of tenor records. Did the poster confuse the recorder for an ocarina, or did I miss it?

Oh, I think I get it. The player's hands are working like a vessel flute, right? They become a Helmholtz resonator of variable volume?

And talk about the ultimate low-cost instrument! A very musical sound and it costs nothing at all. Very cool!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd go with confused poster "This is a nice video I found on the internet."
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:I need to stay away from the word "loon". Not politically correct.
Nevertheless, PC or not, your call is what it is and it worked like a charm: Denny showed up. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I learned to do this from another junior counsellor at boy scout camp in about 1979. He could play melodies, but all I've been able to get is the basic hooty noise.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
mutepointe wrote:I need to stay away from the word "loon". Not politically correct.
Nevertheless, PC or not, your call is what it is and it worked like a charm: Denny showed up. :wink:
not my fault you slept in an' got here late

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Overslept? Dude. I was hunkered down in the rushes, eyes to the skies. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I've gotten kaka.
白飞梦
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've always known this (hand ocarina, sound generated by an inverted transverse flute type embouchure formed between the thumbs) as "owl-calling". I learnt to do it as a primary school child - can't recall if taught by a peer at school or by an adult - probably the former - so it was current in playground culture in the West Country of England in the 1960s. It is mentioned (as "making an owl-call") in Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books - and if memory serves I think he may have attributed it either to Amerindian or Aussie Aboriginal culture... We made mimic owl and wood pigeon and cuckoo calls by this method, and in my teens I learned, rather approximately, to play The Archers theme tune thus as a joke/to annoy my mother! Whenever The Archers came on the radio my brother and I would whip our hands together and "play along" cacophonously...... (I can still "do" it...... :wink: - ask benhall1!)

Latterly, with the first mobile phone I got that could record sound and utilise the file recorded, I recorded myself making three "cuckoo" calls thus and set it up as my incoming text alert (texts are daft, so it seemed appropriate!) and I still have (a re-rendition) as my rather unique text alert to this day. It's great when I'm in work as a taxi driver with a fare aboard and a text comes in and this "cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo" emanates from my breast pocket . :D :lol:

When my son was about 7 or 8, in junior school, about 10 years ago, I taught him and his older sisters to do it and he went off to school and taught all his mates, none of whom had encountered it so far as he could report (so it seems not to have been current in NE Wales around the turn of the millenium) - the school had an epidemic of it! :devil: :party:

(P.S. the audio file linked above is an AMR file - doesn't preview on Box Net, only downloads and opens in Quicktime but not Real or Windows media players.)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

VLC it plays most everything :D
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

Does anybody have tips or advice on how to get better at this? I can get a single steady tone with a bit of work but I've never been able to change the pitch. I would love to ad this "instrument" to my repertoire.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/