Help with Flutes

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mika

Help with Flutes

Post by mika »

This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Xf1Ume0zA it is the same flute in this image? Image

How is the alt flute of angel company someone has this and can tell how it's sound?

Irish tin whistle
Sopran again from "Angel"

I'll be glad if you can tell me your opinions about these flutes :)
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help with Flutes

Post by MTGuru »

mika wrote:This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Xf1Ume0zA it is the same flute in this image?
No, Ryan's whistle is not a Sweetone. It does look like a conical bore, I'm not sure what.

Ryan recommends a Generation D, nickel tube, blue top. I'd think he wouldn't be caught dead playing a Sweetone. Too many tone and intonation issues.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Re: Help with Flutes

Post by Tim2723 »

The flute in your first picture is similar to the one in the video, but not the same. If you buy one in the key of D it will work with the video lessons.

The second is a re-labeled version of the Aulos recorder. It has a distinctly different tone and method of playing, but is a very good instrument of its type for a low price. It will not work with the video lessons, but requires other instructions.

The third is a Clark classic whistle and a very popular choice for a first whistle and can also be used for the lessons.

Your last picture is a fife, probably in D, also similar to the Aulos product, but a very different instrument to play requiring different skills.

All of them are good selections for beginning instruments, but the whistles (#1 and #3) will work with the instructional videos. The recorder and fife require different instructions.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info