Anasasi style flute

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mtyler
antispam: No

Anasasi style flute

Post by mtyler »

I'm looking at an E-Z Anasasi flute by DeRuby. Does anyone have input on the quality of these instuments? Do they come close to the true anasasi sound?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Anasasi style flute

Post by MTGuru »

I think "Anasazi style" just means that it's end-blown (like a quena or shakuhachi) instead of fipple-blown like a more common "plains" or "woodland" NAF.

Not sure anyone knows what the "true Anasazi sound" is, since they disappeared as a historical entity around 800 years ago. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

The EZ Anasasi by Steven DeRuby is and adaption of the modernrim blown anasasi flutes made by the likes of Coyote Oldman. It incorporates a carved fipple to replace the rim technique which some(many?) find difficult to use. My inguiry was more to the success or none success of using a fipple on this style of instument. I agree that no one knows what the true anasasi sound is. I can clarify my remark by saying 'the modern sound' as heard on recordings by Coyote Oldman or Scott August, to name two.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aha, I see. From the design, I'd guess the EZ Anasazi sounds pretty much like a pennywhistle, which it basically is. But yes, maybe someone here knows for sure. Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
manu.bande
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by manu.bande »

From some photos of some historical anasazi flutes found in archeological expeditions I remember the mouthpiece to be very similar to the one used for Kaval flute.

However modern anasazi flutes are made with a more like shakuhachi flute mouthpiece ! Included the only one I own, made by Vance Pennington.

I'm not sure why all the modern makers tend to prefer the shakuhachi's embouchure style, perhaps to give the flute more dynamics ?!

Personally i would prefer to keep the original mouthpiece shape !

Mtyler, anasazi flute for me means a different sound compare to other kind of flutes and perhaps different opportunity for playing techniques and experimentation due the different mouthpiece.
So I would suggest to you to go for a more close to the original flute embouchure... to me the EZ seems to limited because the fipple !
But of course every body see things in a different way !

Cheers
Manuel
mtyler

Post by mtyler »

That's about the conclusion I have come to myself. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:
Deasan

Post by Deasan »

I love rim blown flutes.
My favorite maker is Coyote Oldman. I have his inlay Anasazi flute and I have a Mojave style flute. His is a great scholar, artist and a super person to deal with. I would go with him personally. He offers an "Easy anasazi" too.

http://www.shopworks.com/coyote/index.c ... D0A0A8CF2/
paddler

Post by paddler »

Deasan wrote:I love rim blown flutes.
My favorite maker is Coyote Oldman. I have his inlay Anasazi flute and I have a Mojave style flute. His is a great scholar, artist and a super person to deal with. I would go with him personally. He offers an "Easy anasazi" too.

http://www.shopworks.com/coyote/index.c ... D0A0A8CF2/
I recently bought a Beginner Anasazi flute from Coyote Oldman. Its a genuine rim blown flute (not a whistle) that is supposedly slightly easier to play than his top of the line anasazi flute. It is still challenging, but I did manage to learn how to play a tune on mine the first day. Although I do have quite a lot of experience playing Irish flute so that may have helped me. If you want to hear what this Coyote Oldman Beginner Anasazi flute sounds like there is a good example here (I have found this to be an accurate reproduction of how mine sounds, but unfortunately, this is not me playing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6fhNZqlHE

Anyway, I found Coyote Oldman to be wonderful to deal with and I have enjoyed playing his beginner anasazi flute so much that I am seriously considering getting a full size one. I would really appreciate hearing comments about the relative merits of flutes from other makers from others here who play Anasazi flute.

-- Jon
Deasan

Post by Deasan »

Thanks for sharing that Jon. We both seem to be enjoying our MGA flutes.
Have you checked out this wonderful site yet:
http://forums.fluteportal.com/
Lots of good info. there and a very friendly bunch too.
I understand that he makes fantastic flutes too
http://www.earthtoneflutes.com/
Cheers, Deasan