Some kinds of flutes

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
mika

Some kinds of flutes

Post by mika »

Hey guys

There are 2 kinds of flutes that I saw and I really like the way it sounds so maybe you can tell me what are their names plus I'm thinking to buy an armenian duduk flute do you have any recommendation? I like the deep warm sounds :)

Here is 0:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtQdswX ... re=related

Here is the second one is a long white flute 0:06
http://www.flix.co.il/tapuz/showVideo.asp?m=2229589

Thanks for your time
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Some kinds of flutes

Post by I.D.10-t »

The first looks like a Bansuri. Not 100%sure.

The second looks like a fipple flute, but the bore to length ratio seems a bit different than a typical whistle. Almost like a 6 holed tabor pipe, but its pitch seems too low for that. Interesting.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

The second one is a type of Ney, a rim-blown flute from Turkey and the Arabic countries.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MichaelLoos wrote:The second one is a type of Ney, a rim-blown flute from Turkey and the Arabic countries.
That was my first thought, but I thought he was blowing that way to strait on to be rim blown. I'll have to re-watch the video.

Searching youtube for Ney shows people playing the same way. In the past, I have looked up Kaval videos where the instrument (in the videos I watched) is held at more of a 45 degree angle.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
manu.bande
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by manu.bande »

Hi Mika

the duduk is not a flute but a double reed wooden instrument.

However if you're looking for a good duduk I would suggest you to contact Mr. Arthur Grigoryan, he's making some of the best duduks, his instruments are played by some of the most notorious armenian and foreigners musicians.
Plus is a very nice and kind person to deal with.
His web is : http://www.armenianduduk.am/

Take care

Manuel
Manuel
mika

Post by mika »

Thanks a lot guys you really helped me :)