Advice please for Newbie but crumblie

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Advice please for Newbie but crumblie

Post by MTGuru »

Re-reading this, I don't mean to sound harsh. As a serious recorder player for 40 years, and a whistler for 20, I'm just acutely aware of the similarities and differences between the two.

It seems to me that the music is at least as important as the instrument. That is, when you take up instrument X, you're also making a commitment to the music of that instrument and to the culture of that music - whether it be highland piping tunes, or Irish dance tunes, or renaissance consort part music, or French folk music, etc. And within each of those traditions there will be instruments more or less suited to one's experience, taste, and physical characteristics and limitations.

Of course, I'm sure that many people have taken up instrument X at first simply because they fancy the sound, or the appearance, or just the idea of playing it. And sometimes an instrument can lead you into types of music you wouldn't otherwise explore - that's a part of the adventure.

But at some point you need an overall goal, and I don't get a strong sense of purpose from the OP. Which makes advising an instrument choice hit-or-miss. That's the frustration that I sense on both sides of the conversation here.

Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

MTGuru wrote:Re-reading this, I don't mean to sound harsh. As a serious recorder player for 40 years, and a whistler for 20, I'm just acutely aware of the similarities and differences between the two.

But at some point you need an overall goal, and I don't get a strong sense of purpose from the OP. Which makes advising an instrument choice hit-or-miss. That's the frustration that I sense on both sides of the conversation here.

Cheers!
Good advice MTGuru. After thinking about all the meandering ideas in this thread, Hilary should just pick a starting point that suits her fancy (and budget) at this time. And give it a go.

Get a feel for the music and culture of the instrument - and see if it sinks in. If not - don't feel bad - try something new. Heck, in "Irish/Celtic" music alone there are people that start with whistle and go through low whistle, flute, then land in pipes - or stick with whistle or flute perhaps.

Hilary, you could maybe find a local Irish session to sit in on a couple times to get a better feel for what people are using. It's ok to let your different interests ferment a bit before you make a decision.

Good luck to you,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

MTGuru wrote:Re-reading this, I don't mean to sound harsh. As a serious recorder player for 40 years, and a whistler for 20, I'm just acutely aware of the similarities and differences between the two.

It seems to me that the music is at least as important as the instrument. That is, when you take up instrument X, you're also making a commitment to the music of that instrument and to the culture of that music - whether it be highland piping tunes, or Irish dance tunes, or renaissance consort part music, or French folk music, etc. And within each of those traditions there will be instruments more or less suited to one's experience, taste, and physical characteristics and limitations.

Of course, I'm sure that many people have taken up instrument X at first simply because they fancy the sound, or the appearance, or just the idea of playing it. And sometimes an instrument can lead you into types of music you wouldn't otherwise explore - that's a part of the adventure.

Cheers!
Mt since you admit :lol: to being a recorder player,, let me ask you,,,Is tongueing used a LOT in recrder?? or is it just in medieval , or what? I am a fan of Kemper Crabb, yes funny name. He may not be very good technically ,but I like the way his recorder sounds, but he uses a ren recorder. Is this a totally different bird? I have a alto rec. but I do not think it sounds good, at all.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Whistling Archer wrote:Is tongueing used a LOT in recrder??
Simple answer, yes. Complicated answer: Depends on the music, of course. Recorder plays anything from medieval to baroque to modern. But my early music teachers all taught and favored clear articulation - with the caveat that there are many different types of articulation and tonguing: different syllables, legato tonguing, etc.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.