FS: 2 unmundodebambu Quenas, E major

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
usfenderfsdlx
antispam: No

FS: 2 unmundodebambu Quenas, E major

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

I've got 2 bamboo quenas from unmundodebambu.com that I need to sell to clear the way for a host of new quenas I've got coming in. I've done a lot of listening, and these quenas have some of the best first octave quena tone I have ever heard. The mouthpieces are inlayed hardwood and the quenas look play beautifully: very responsive to tonguing, embouchure changes result in very interesting and expressive tonal changes in the first octave. These are brilliant instruments for primarily first octave play, if you know you'll be playing in the first octave a lot: meditative music, spacey, new age stuff, music soundtrack vibes. Again, they respond very well, especially to tonguing. You can get percussive! I emphasize the first octave because the octave match is a little off. You can manhandle it a bit to get it pretty close, but it is tough. You won't have problems with the octave match if you are playing solo and overblow the first octave.

Quena 1 is wider bore, has a fuller and louder sound, plays beautifully, and is more restricted to the first octave. One octave in concert or with other musicians in recording, and nice 2.5 octaves if you are playing solo.

Quena 2 is narrower bore and better in tune throughout the range. This one does not yield quite as easily in terms of playability, the embouchure is a bit more precise, but is better in tune through the full 2.5 to 3 octave range.

These are each custom orders and cost $120 each, new from the maker. I'm selling each for $50. They have their pros and cons, but I think they even out to about that price. I was thinking of doing $40 for quena 1 and $60 for quena 2 because of the tuning considerations, but quena 1 really plays and sounds like no other in the first octave. Having played both, I definitely think it evens out at $50. As a note: do not buy new from this maker, it's not worth the $120, but it is worth $50 if you know what you're getting into! (Hence the detailed post!)

PM me if interested! These are great for starting out and learning on the quena (I would recommend either quena for this, leaning towards quena 2), or for the intermediate or semi-pro who just wants a fantastic sound and playability, albeit with a limited range (for this I especially recommend quena 1. Hey, that's pretty much what a duduk is anyway, right? Great sound and playability for 1 octave.)
usfenderfsdlx

Re: FS: 2 unmundodebambu Quenas, E major

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

bumping and also knocking down the price to $30 for each quena. :)
ftdevilliers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: FS: 2 unmundodebambu Quenas, E major

Post by ftdevilliers »

What is a decent price for a Bamboo or even a plastic Kena/ Kenacho flute?