Some ITM on ocarina

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Some ITM on ocarina

Post by ubizmo »

Here's Karl Ahrens, of Mountain Ocarinas, playing some ITM on the warmstone ocarina in G. He's great playing this music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSNBHo837sM

Ubizmo
Tim2723

Re: Some ITM on ocarina

Post by Tim2723 »

Very cool, thanks for posting that!

I've wondered why the ocarina doesn't show up more in ITM. There are double chambered models that have all the range of a whistle, and triple chambered ones that have every note you could ask for. The Irish seem to have explored nearly every instrument they ever came in contact with, and it's surprising they didn't adopt the ocarina.

Can anyone expound on that?
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Some ITM on ocarina

Post by ubizmo »

I can't expound on why the Irish didn't press the ocarina into service. I do think that the current multi-chambered ocarinas are somewhat awkward for playing fast-paced ITM. Having to switch chambers with fingers and lips is an obstacle, even though I'm sure it can be overcome with practice. I know that Mountain plans to unveil a two-chambered ocarina that overcomes these obstacles, but nobody knows when it'll be out. I don't play that much ITM on ocarina, but I often transpose and rearrange things to fit on the single chamber. It doesn't seem to hurt the music that much, and to me it feels in the spirit of traditional music to adapt it to fit the instrument I'm playing.

Ubizmo