Blodeugerdd - An Anthology of Welsh Music and Song.

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Blodeugerdd - An Anthology of Welsh Music and Song.

Post by jemtheflute »

Blodeugerdd: Song of the Flowers - An Anthology of Welsh Music and Song
Various Artists SFW40552

Since we've had some discussions of things Welsh on this forum, I thought I'd cross-post this here as well as on the Flute Forum. There is at least one track featuring bagpipes, by way of further justification!

A new album issued by Smithsonian Folkways in conjunction with Wales being a featured nation at this summer's Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington DC, produced by Ceri Rhys Matthews (of Fernhill) and featuring both well-known and as-yet-little-known musicians active in Welsh traditional music. A PDF of the CD liner is available here if you want more detail. (I am in one track, in duet with my erstwhile pupil Tom Scott.) There are several tracks featuring flute players.

The album is seemingly available to download right now (I haven't tried!) for U$9.99: http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails ... temid=3229.

I think you can also order hard copy CDs direct from the Smithsonian Folkways website.

Hard copy CDs will also be available from Amazon/Amazon UK in due course (released July 28th) and can be pre-ordered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blodeugerdd-Son ... 770&sr=1-1.

Any US readers in reach of WDC, the Festival is starting tomorrow, I believe, and a good few of my friends from the Welsh trad scene are out there representing us all, including Ceri who produced the CD and who is a fine fluter and piper himself and Andy Mac of Crasdant who plays pibgorn as well as flute - go check it out!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Blodeugerdd - An Anthology of Welsh Music and Song.

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, I've got to say it....... Wow! I received my complimentary (as a contributor) copies of the Blodeugerdd CD this-morning and I've just listened to it (while working on iainbeag's flute). It really is superb; Ceri has done a fantastic production job both in putting together the contributions and on the technical side. It is a great introduction to Welsh trad music and musicians and the current WTM scene, and everyone can be very proud of their contributions, but it also works well as an album, as was Ceri's intention. I hope someone else will give it a proper review here! I don't think anyone who enjoys traditional music will be disappointed if they buy it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads