Clerorfa Concert, Caernarfon, 18:4:09 - with pibgyrn!

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Clerorfa Concert, Caernarfon, 18:4:09 - with pibgyrn!

Post by jemtheflute »

Y Glerorfa - the Welsh Folk Orchestra - is giving a concert at 19:30 on Saturday 18:4:09 in Y Galeri, Caernarfon, Wales. All welcome!

See also http://www.clera.org/.

Join our Facebook group. There are some videos linked there......

Whistles, flutes, fiddles, pibgyrn, oh yeah, and harps........ And cloggers!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Re: Clerorfa Concert, Caernarfon, 18:4:09 - with pibgyrn!

Post by jemtheflute »

Here's a link to a video from a recent rehearsal - pibgyrn in action towards the end.....

and another one from our St David's Day giglet in the Wales Millenium Centre (well known Torchwood landmark!) - with Welsh cloggers........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

In the main Whistle Forum version of this thread, Mick asked:
Mick Down Under wrote:What's a Pibgyrn worth these days Jem? Are they easily come by or on the hard to get, must be made to order scale? Mick
I thought it more appropriate to answer him here.

Firstly it's pibgorn, singular; pibgyrn, plural: - no reason why anyone non-Welsh would know that, but you do now!

You're right that it's pretty much a made-to-order scenario, but the wait is not necessarily very long, nor is the cost prohibitive. There are several people making pibgyrn now. Mine was made by John "Glenydd" from Cardiganshire and cost me c £300 (relatively expensive) with about an 18 month wait. John Tose, Jonathan Shorland, Gerard KilBride and Gavin Morgan are people I know/know of who have made them from time to time or are actively doing so. I think there's a list on Gerard's website (link below).

Gerard (KilBride brother, fiddle maker.....) has general useful info and DIY instructions on part of his website: http://www.pibgyrn.com/.

John Tose seems to be the main in-production supplier and is rather cheaper - and also has a nice website: http://www.pibydd.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm.

Gavin Morgan is supposedly working on a cheap everyman pibgorn with plastic horns instead of real cow horn, but I don't know whether these are available to order/buy yet or at what price, though I know he wants to make them cheap enough to be a reasonable proposition for school children to acquire them.......

I hope that answers your Q adequately. If you google search "pibgorn" there's probably quite a bit more out there to be found.

Here's a quick selection:
http://www.clera.org/saesneg/pibgorn.php
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/ ... onal.shtml

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Down Under »

Thanks for your response Jem. It was very helpful indeed. I only knew of Toses' website and that was from a few years back now.
I must say, as a Welsh Australian/Australian Welshman I do know the different spellings for the sing/plural, but made an embarrassing typo :oops: . I think it was because I was reading your post while typing.

Diolch yn fawr fy cyfaill
Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

TV item about Y Glerorfa, the Welsh folk orchestra - shown in rehearsal preparing for the gig/live CD recording this thread was advertising. Available to view until early June (35 days from 29:4:09) on S4C/Clic - Welsh languge internet TV channel (with English subtitles - click the owl!) I think this may only be available within the UK, unfortunately, and I don't have the faintest idea how that can be dodged.
Sioe Gelf (The Arts Show) - approximately the first 6 minutes of the programme.

Ah, some clever person has clipped it to YouTube, though without English subtitles, I'm afraid.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums