Frula resources

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
paals
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Frula resources

Post by paals »

I'd like to ask you, Frulash-Fellows :) , for best, in your opinion, resources for learning to play frula. If you've found anything printed, recorded or on-line that really helped you gain the 'tricks' of Balkan (Serbian, Romanian, other) frula players, as well as extend the repertoire, please, share the parametres. I'll be more than grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Pawel
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

I've been searching for over a year now. I haven't found any instruction material like "how to play the frula." The best I've found is a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kBKQORtPNU

The fingering is the same as the Irish whistle. Like Celtic music, you'll end up using major and dorian/minor keys. As far as ornamentation goes, forget the rolls and learn trills. Lots of vibrato in the slower tunes.

If you happen to find anything, please share here. Thanks.
paals

Post by paals »

Thanks for the link and additional info. I'd already found Jovo on YouTube, but until last weekend just listened for pleasure. Yesterday, however, I had a detailed look at him playing and I could notice some characteristics of the style:

1. 7th hole - the frula's got the 7th (left hand thumb) hole. I know it is quite common for frulas AND I know it may happen in tin whistles. My question is if covering/uncovering only stabilize the tuning or you need it to make certain notes. Frula-type instruments that I have access to, are only six-holed - would this make a problem while learning?

2. Half-holing - I should write 'quarter-holing', in fact. There were quite a few moments Jovo used partially covered holes to put ornaments, sometimes even to make notes, half- or even quarter-tone higher. As Irish whistlers - with a few exceptions - usually look for the best way to fork-finger certain notes (and so do I :)), it 'll be quite a challange to re-learn, I suppose. Or, is it easier than it seems?

3. Vibrato - unlike in ITM, it seems to be made with... well... throat? Diaphragm? I would say the latter, I think. Definitely not fingers. Any comments here?

I've just started looking for materials, I'll definitely share thoughts and ideas when I find them.

Thanks again,

Pawel