Question about windway of Native American flute

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
sbfluter

Question about windway of Native American flute

Post by sbfluter »

Hello, my mother sent me a Native American flute. I have no idea if it is a good one or not but I'd like to learn how to play it anyway in case she asks about it.

So in looking at it, it seems like while the seam is nearly invisible on the outside, but I can certainly feel it on the inside of the bore. Is that a bad thing?

The windway edges seem a little less than perfect. The edge toward me is very ragged, as if it wasn't even sanded. Does that even matter since you put that little fetish thing on top anyway?

The other edge, away from me, is more finished but appears to have a small dent. It isn't perfectly straight. Is this a bad thing? Is it possible to sharpen/smooth the edges or will that ruin the flute?

It seems to sound ok, but then I don't really know what I'm doing.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

not that some of 'em will not show up but....

Dale started a NAF forum
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/naf/
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The thickness of the blade is important. If they are too blunt, you will have reduced volume. Don't worry so much about the line (seam) inside the bore, if it runs alongside, it's not really a big deal. A gash going across is much more important as it deadens sound.

How consistent are the notes - if they are all fairly equal in tone quality and volume then it is a good flute.

Most Native Flutes (NAF's) are designed to play just a little over one octave. They are wide bore instruments and that design gives it the haunting tone - even more than your low whistles. Low whistles push the limit on the bore but usually don't exceed enough to loose the second octave. NAF's go right past that limit and the second octave notes will drop out on the second or third note.

Now, high NAF's are designed very differently - some of them will soar in the third octave.

That bodies don't have to be straight. I've seen some really nice curved ones. The Fallenbranch guys make flutes from branch found on the ground - and their shaped whatever way the branch grew.

Take a look at these http://fallenbranch.com/flutes3.html