bamboo recorders /whistles

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

bamboo recorders /whistles

Post by Whistling Archer »

Any body in here interested in bamboo whistle ,, I dont mean the 5$ kind. But a real whistle in tune made of bamboo,,, not thin cane.
Anybody make em here besides me?
I just finished a Low G and I love it. I dont play at sessions, just for my own enjoyment at home and family gatherings , we play guitar flutes whistles etc.
One thing I like best about them is the soft soothing tones and lower volume than a metal whistle.

Any body else into these???
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The Piper's Guild is an international society dedicated to the building and playing of bamboo whistles. Check out the site and the links:

http://www.pipersguild.org/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've had a couple of nice bamboo instruments over the years. Not toys, but as you say, real musical instruments made of bamboo. I always liked the sound but could never deal with the odor of bamboo. Any tips on getting rid of that? I have one flute that still smells strongly after more than a decade.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thanks Guru

Post by Whistling Archer »

Thanks Guru, I will check it out.

Tim, are the flutes brownish ,, like they have been fire treated??
I have done many that way with a torch,,, and they look good, but the odor endures. Ive tried alchol,, plain water, just airing them... A bunch of stuff. I cant sem to get rid of the odor.
Some people who have bought my flutes have told me that was one of the things thet drew them to them. I dont mind it too much , but a couple of flutes treatd that way can smell up a room.
Im sorry I cant help, If you come up something , please let me know. I havent tried vodka, I have heard its a great odor remover. If it doesnt remove oder take internally until you dont care about the smell :)
\Merry Christmas Steve
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Thanks for that Steve. Yes, they are a brown color, especially around the tone holes where it looks like the holes were made with a branding iron or something. I haven't tried anything but airing them out, and that didn't work. But now I keep them in a case and only play them sometimes. I think the odor builds up over time that way.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've got a grove of bamboo in my backyard that's on its 3rd year...it's about big enough for making whistles, but I haven't tried yet.

-Brett
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I've made a couple. I have one down in the shop with black acetal fittings. The bamboo is turned and finished just like any other wood and is pretty handsome. I also have one of my own that I made to look sort of like a Japanese flute. I made a black acetal head ferrule but instead of black acetal rings at the bottom of the head and top and bottom of the foot section, I bound those areas with black thread. I kinda like it. Bamboo is an amazing material.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!