Dear Miss Manners,

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

THANKS CYNTH! :D :D
We can use that tune for zampogna + ciaramella!!!!
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

In fact, I'm not a serious player by any means. I simply stated that German fingering has no advantages whatsoever over baroque fingering, and a few srawbacks. The German folksy songs however make me reach for the nearest beer keg, which, considering I already tanked up to the gills, is not such a hot thing. So I stay away from them.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

In fact, I'm not a serious player by any means. I simply stated that German fingering has no advantages whatsoever over baroque fingering, and a few drawbacks.
The German folksy songs however make me reach for the nearest beer keg, which, considering I'm already tanked up to the gills, is not such a hot thing. So I stay away from them. (the songs, not the beer kegs)(don't know if you know why lederhosen? That is why the flap? It's connected to the beer....)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Yuri, reading back on my remark I can see that it looks like I am addressing you and making a remark that would be rather sarcastic. Believe me, I am sorry I was not more clear. I was really using the remark you had made to address and tease Nano---my intention was not clear, I should have put his name right at the beginning. I was teasing him and the website where I found the music had a lesson for American schoolchildren that accompanied the song so I included the lesson just to be silly---I thought the lesson seemed a little silly and I wasn't intending to make fun of German customs, it was the lesson itself that seemed odd---of course I guess it was for very young children.

Anyway, I hope I have clarified the situation and I am sorry for not writing more clearly. I have found your remarks about the recorder to be very interesting and I certainly would not be making fun of them or you.

P.S. I think I'd better look up lederhosen :wink: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I just fished out an old plastic recorder (the kind with the double holes on the bottom, whatever that is) and you can play nearly two octaves on the top six holes while leaving the thumb holes closed and overblowing. The intonation is awful, but not worse than some funky bamboo whistles I've played. You could sneak a tune out of it that way if you had to. Just leave your thumb over the thumb hole and it drives like a whistle (sort of).
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:I just fished out an old plastic recorder (the kind with the double holes on the bottom, whatever that is) and you can play nearly two octaves on the top six holes while leaving the thumb holes closed and overblowing. The intonation is awful, but not worse than some funky bamboo whistles I've played. You could sneak a tune out of it that way if you had to. Just leave your thumb over the thumb hole and it drives like a whistle (sort of).
No. That is too tempting an out. It must be that crazy proper fingering that makes my eyes water to look at, or nothing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nanohedron wrote:
Tim2723 wrote:I just fished out an old plastic recorder (the kind with the double holes on the bottom, whatever that is) and you can play nearly two octaves on the top six holes while leaving the thumb holes closed and overblowing. The intonation is awful, but not worse than some funky bamboo whistles I've played. You could sneak a tune out of it that way if you had to. Just leave your thumb over the thumb hole and it drives like a whistle (sort of).
No. That is too tempting an out. It must be that crazy proper fingering that makes my eyes water to look at, or nothing.[/quote]

You're hooked, Nanohedron...face the awful terrifying truth of your fated destiny: to be a virtuouso Recorder player... :wink:
PS: those Vivaldi concerti would be a good place to begin... :)
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

It calls to you. Can you hear it? "Play me Nano, play me."

But beware. Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh dear. Time to get out the cross again.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Cynth, don't worry. I haven't taken it seriously. In any case, I don't think it's possible to take anything connected with German folksy music very seriously, anyway. (maybe if you are German, but then, I'm not)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tim2723 wrote:It calls to you. Can you hear it? "Play me Nano, play me."
Yes, I can hear it. So far I'm okay.
Tim2723 wrote:But beware. Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.
You make it sound like crystal meth.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Why has the Google thing now placed "The f*rt Button" as a banner? Was it something we said?

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Oh. Google can place it as a full-width banner ad, but I get f*rt.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK, the awful truth.

Recorder fingering, once mastered, is agile and rather
ingenious. It isn't so hard to learn. Pretty nifty.

And you can indeed play ITM on the recorder.

Forgive me.....

If you're not up for this, though, I would, if were me,
thank my friend, put the thing away for a few years,
then deep six it (as the pirates say).