Ocarina question...

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
A David
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ocarina question...

Post by A David »

So I was wondering how well those really cheap South American ceramic ocarinas play (the pendant style ones). Liiiiiike... this one: http://larkinthemorning.com/product.asp ... Ocarina_E_. How's the intonation, and how big is their range? I'm actually going to get a Mountain Ocarina sometime, but i was wondering about these. Well, thanks!
-Me
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

They play about like what you'd expect from a hollow ball of clay with some holes in it. Many of them are relatively in tune with themselves (at least you can recognize the tune you're playing), but it's a total crap-shoot as to whether they'll be at any standard pitch. But they're intended to be fun, and they are. It's just important to remember that a precision-made instrument is a very different beast, and not to be discouraged by the 'folksie' nature of these things.

Most of these have a range of an octave plus a note or two. The small ones are very high-pitched and shrill.

On the other hand, if you already play a little or you are really concerned about starting off on the right foot, I'd put the money toward a Mountain Ocarina. After all, the M.O. polycarbonate soprano is only $20.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

An octave + 1, as well as sharps and flats.

Got one three years ago...bought a large one because at the price I expected small to be teensy and shrill. Turned out to be a Low D--6" from mouthpiece to pendant loop, 5" across, 3" thick. Can't say for absolute sure that it's concert pitch, but I also have a Whistlesmith Low D and the lowest notes are the same to my ear.

The M.O. polycarb is probably lighter to carry around your neck.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Country Kitty, I'm glad you got one close to standard pitch, but I gotta ask. At 6" long, 5" wide, and 3" thick, isn't it a little like wearing a brick around your neck? :D
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
A David

Post by A David »

Well, thank you very much! I'll probably get one someday just for fun, since they're so cheap. And i'll definitely be getting a Mountain Ocarina sometime. Right now, i'm working on the Xaphoon Pocket Sax i just got. It's pretty neat.
-Me
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

"...isn't it a little like wearing a brick around your neck?"

:lol: you ain't kidding!
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Come closer Grasshopper and listen to ancient wisdom of Ocarina here...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ocarinaclub/
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com