Hariprasad Chaurasia teaching

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
MJS

Hariprasad Chaurasia teaching

Post by MJS »

Just realized today that Hariprasad Chaurasia will be teaching at Boxwood this summer - I love listening to Indian classical music and particularly the bansuri, but I recognize and respect what a complex artform it is - can anyone advise me about the possibilities of learning to play at this late stage in life? Talasiga, Doug Tipple et al, are you out there? I've enjoyed all the bansi links and chat on this forum in the past - does anyone have experience with the Pandit himself? Would you pass up this opportunity?
Thanks,
M.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I think any chance you can get to study with Hariji you should take up, I have heard he's an amazing teacher. It's never too late to start learning, I spent 9 years studying sitar to find out bansuri is my calling, so now the past 3 years I have been only studying that. What part of the country are you in, Pandit Ronu Majumdar teaches here in Chicago a few months every year. I think he will be back in May, I can put you in touch with him if you like. I think the best thing to do in the meantime is get a ton of recordings, and listen like crazy, don't try to understand the music, just listen.

Also, when you get a chance, take a look at my myspace...
http://www.myspace.com/naadbrahma
MJS

Post by MJS »

Thanks for the encouragement! That is kind of what I thought - these once in a lifetime opportunities sometimes change you (and sometimes not!). By the way, I am in southern Ontario (near Toronto) and really know absolutely nothing (yet) about who might be involved with this music here, unfortunately.
There are so many recordings I don't know where to start - do you have a favorite or two to suggest?
Best,
M.
Talbert St. Claire

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

You could try:

Anything from Hariprasad C. The nice thing about him is that he plays alot of new age stuff as well which I enjoy more than Trad Indian. I have a great article on him. His life was difficult and his father was very against his taking up music! Hariprasad hid his music from his father. He went ahead anyway and followed his passion. Now look at him.

The other guy I really enjoy is, Steve Gorn. An incredible American Bansuri player!! There are a number of players to check out but this is a good start.

Do not short cut yourself in terms of age. I am an African American/Scottish and 90% self taught. I played at the ripe age of, 26. No music before then. I am 42 now. I lived, breathed, dreamed, Low Whistles. No, its never to late. Have fun and enjoy the experience!

Talbert St. Claire
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Talbert St. Claire

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Double post..sorry
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!