So do harmonicas go here or with the squeezeboxes?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So do harmonicas go here or with the squeezeboxes?

Post by TheSpoonMan »

'Cause I know they're free reeds and all, but I tried to squeeze my harmonica once and that didn't go so well.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

My toddler got into a cupboard and absconded with my new c chromatic... It squeezes a bit more now (but with a funny clunking sound). :-?

How do you clean drool out of a Hohner Chrometta? :sniffle:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

For my money, harmonicas go with the other free reeds. By that measure, so would the sheng, though, so I don't really know. Maybe here, after all...even though its subtitle indicates free reeds as if it were a generalisation, that forum's name does indeed say "Squeezeboxes". So, yeah, post here if you like. I think I shan't have a hernia over it. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Free reeds, I would think.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Nanohedron wrote:For my money, harmonicas go with the other free reeds. By that measure, so would the sheng, though, so I don't really know. Maybe here, after all...even though its subtitle indicates free reeds as if it were a generalisation, that forum's name does indeed say "Squeezeboxes". So, yeah, post here if you like. I think I shan't have a hernia over it. :wink:
I always find it hilarious that a mutant-water-bong-crossed-with-a-teapot (sheng) is so directly related to accordions.

The local Irish accordion guru has my sheng right now - he wants to rip it apart and put italian reeds in it. What would one call a Chinese-Italian-Irish sheng?

Mark O'Po Lo.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chiffed wrote:The local Irish accordion guru has my sheng right now - he wants to rip it apart and put italian reeds in it.
Do they ever stop? :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

>>The local Irish accordion guru has my sheng right now - he wants to rip it apart and put italian reeds in it. What would one call a Chinese-Italian-Irish sheng? <<
:o
:-?
Being "Sheng hai-ed"??? What's so wrong with the reeds that are in there now? A friend of mine destroyed a nice Indian harmonium but trying to pull "better" steel reeds in it. Never worked the same way again!

Those box players... :wink:
CM
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

ceadach wrote:>>The local Irish accordion guru has my sheng right now - he wants to rip it apart and put italian reeds in it. What would one call a Chinese-Italian-Irish sheng? <<
:o
:-?
Being "Sheng hai-ed"??? What's so wrong with the reeds that are in there now? A friend of mine destroyed a nice Indian harmonium but trying to pull "better" steel reeds in it. Never worked the same way again!

Those box players... :wink:
CM
He just wants to play around. Maybe I'll trade the sheng for work on my Titano 12-bass. Can't afford a real box yet.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I think that unless the sheng is poor or unplayable, he should probably leave it be. Also, keep in mind that sheng reeds are typically brass or bronze. After a couple or so thousand years, there are probably good reasons for that.

But I suppose there's really nothing wrong with getting into the guts of things to see what makes 'em tick so long as you can put it all snugly back together.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Just traded the Sheng (mostly unplayable) and the busted Titano for a sweet little Silvetta 12-bass dry-tuned. I love the sound, and the tuning is dead on.

So, back to folk winds.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Hmmmm.... (thinkin' out loud...dangerous pasttime...)

Re and irish music afficianado trying to redo an asian instrument--

The reason may be a matter of translation. Doesn't asian music contain a lot of flat notes while Irish tends to have more sharps? To someone familiar with Irish music, an asian instrument might sound out of tune and in need of work...

Might think he's doin' you a favor.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

CountryKitty wrote:Hmmmm.... (thinkin' out loud...dangerous pasttime...)

Re and irish music afficianado trying to redo an asian instrument--

The reason may be a matter of translation. Doesn't asian music contain a lot of flat notes while Irish tends to have more sharps? To someone familiar with Irish music, an asian instrument might sound out of tune and in need of work...

Might think he's doin' you a favor.
I think Asian music is on its own tuning/naming system. But I dunno how it's written. And I think sheng are chromatic. But again I could be wrong.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

There may be a bigger problem than the tuning system. I seem to remember reading that the reeds in shengs and similar instruments sound when air flows through them in either direction, whereas accordion (and concertina) reeds only work with the air going one way.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

StevieJ wrote:There may be a bigger problem than the tuning system. I seem to remember reading that the reeds in shengs and similar instruments sound when air flows through them in either direction, whereas accordion (and concertina) reeds only work with the air going one way.
That's how they work. It's both a horse-of-a-different-colour and a push-me-pull-me.

Still lovin' the Silvetta, and not missing the sheng.