Duduk?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Duduk?

Post by Chiffed »

Any recommendations for someone who wants to get started but doesn't want the frustration of a cruddy instrument?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

LOL, I can't help you there--my WHOA took a weird twist in that I picked up ethnic flutes rather than tinwhistles (Picked them up one at a time as playable folk art). I'm still learning to play them; one is tourist crap that doesn't play, tourist crap that does even though it's warped, One is gorgeous but play's poorly...several others I think are fair enough beginner's instruments.

Your best bet might be to go through a catalog similar to Lark in the Morning--I know a few here have had less than sterling experiences with them, but I got a Low-D Langley-style ocarina from them for under $20 + s&h.

At least get the Lark catalog--if you see something you like you can google it to check out makers.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Move to Armenia?
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

I had a very high quality duduk (ruben) that I got from the duduk.com people a few years ago, which I recently sold. I also have some souvenir quality duduks in a box somewhere. They are actually much easier to play than the "real" one, but aren't capable of nearly as wide a tone color range.

Don't bother with Lark in the morning. I know from experience that the things they sell as duduks aren't.
William Bajzek
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

The Lark catalog is kinda fun, but Lark, I've found, is less than fun in terms of staff that know what they're talking about and instruments that are of a usable quality. It must be tough trying to be all things to all folkies. They carry Sweet's stuff, and they'll get sitar strings to Armpit BC in a hurry, so it's not all bad.

Duduk.com looks fun, though! Looks like they take things seriously.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
cadancer

Re: Duduk?

Post by cadancer »

Chiffed wrote:Any recommendations for someone who wants to get started but doesn't want the frustration of a cruddy instrument?
Re: Duduk

www.eefc.org has a listserv

There are tons of knowledgeable people there.

Dave may know someone who can find one. I believe he has actually made one himself. If he has, he is a fine craftsman.

http://www.dgviolins.com/index.html

Best wishes,

John
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I got an excellent "real" duduk from a site which I think is called armenianduduk.com
The ones Lark sold that I saw were made in Pakistan.
Get a real Armenian one. They are a lot of fun to play, but the fingering is very difficult. Why? Because the tone holes are not placed in accordance with any of the various mode/scales used in Armenian music. Nearly every note has to be partially uncovered ("shaded" or half-holed). So it's a bit like a violin where you use your ear to create the pitches that are required.
Being lazy, I had a local maker (of other things) make me a copy of the duduk body without holes. I then drilled my own tone holes so that normal open fingering creates the "hijaz" mode (my favourite mode).