What are they?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

What are they?

Post by Katharine »

I can't identify some of these instruments... I see what looks like two whistles (one high {of carbon fiber or a material that is supposed to look like same}, one low, but what's the protrusion at the bottom of the low one? Susato-type key?) but the other three have me stumped. I had wondered if one was a chalumeau, but it doesn't look like any chalumeau I've seen, as far as the finger holes-- what's the hole all by itself at the top? Why does it appear there are four holes for the left (top) hand and only three for the right (bottom)? The other two have me completely stumped... if they're some kind of transverse pipes/piccolos, I don't see an embouchure hole. I see what could be an embouchure or windway (if it's end-blown) hole on the bamboo-looking one, but it's partly covered with a string winding; and there appear to only be five fingering holes (not unheard-of, but unusual). I would think those two might just be decorative flute-shaped objects, except they don't even really look like other decorative flute-shaped objects I've seen...

I was half-tempted to try to buy them to find out! In case I ended up with something cool. Just, I don't have the spare cash right now for that kind of curiosity (or to risk on ending up with junk). :) But maybe they look familiar to someone here?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/84381448
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: What are they?

Post by Sedi »

The link is no longer working unfortunately.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sedi wrote:The link is no longer working unfortunately.
Works for me.

I see a bunch of different stuff, there: 2 whistles for sure (maybe 3, but I can't tell what it is), a bamboo or cane flute (I think it's a flute, but the wrapping's going to interfere with playing it), and what I'm guessing is a chalumeau.

As for the projection, I don't know if you mean the removable thumb rest, or that lateral something closer to the bell.

Anyway, that's as good as I've got. The photographer didn't do the viewer any favors.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

The carbon fiber whistle looks like one of Erik the Flutemakers. It's got the signature Susato mouthpiece.
https://eriktheflutemaker.com/products/ ... rbon-fiber

That one alone sells for $150 new, if you're looking for an Erik the Flutemaker whistle.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
Works for me.

I see a bunch of different stuff, there: 2 whistles for sure (maybe 3, but I can't tell what it is), a bamboo or cane flute (I think it's a flute, but the wrapping's going to interfere with playing it), and what I'm guessing is a chalumeau.

As for the projection, I don't know if you mean the removable thumb rest, or that lateral something closer to the bell.

Anyway, that's as good as I've got. The photographer didn't do the viewer any favors.
Definitely not! And there's never any description.

I'm thinking you're right on the bamboo/cane flute... perhaps the winding moved from elsewhere on the thing.

On the "projection" on the low whistle, yes, I mean the "lateral something." The thumb rest I did identify. As I said, the only thing I can think of that look similar are the keys on a Susato whistle (see low whistles on this page: https://www.susato.com/collections/kildare), so perhaps it is indeed a Susato whistle.

Looking again, perhaps not a chalumeau but a xaphoon? If that top "lone" hole is actually a finger hole? Never saw a xaphoon that looked like that, but who knows.

So, perhaps may have been a good buy after all (whistles would be re-homed; I don't need more, lol!)

Wanderer wrote:The carbon fiber whistle looks like one of Erik the Flutemakers. It's got the signature Susato mouthpiece.
https://eriktheflutemaker.com/products/ ... rbon-fiber

That one alone sells for $150 new, if you're looking for an Erik the Flutemaker whistle.
I'm not, but hopefully whoever got it appreciates it!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:Looking again, perhaps not a chalumeau but a xaphoon?
Could be. Most xaphoons tend to have a plainer profile, though, and that's why I assumed it might be a chalumeau. OTOH, a quick look at Google Images suggests that chalumeaux tend to have at least a couple of keys, so maybe it's hoitier and toitier xaphoon. I know next to nothing about these instruments, otherwise; but I did learn that although "xaphoon" is used rather loosely by the public, it is actually a proprietary name and only a few companies are allowed to use it commercially, so were you to start making and selling them, you would probably have to name them something else to avoid stepping on any toes.
Katharine wrote:If that top "lone" hole is actually a finger hole? Never saw a xaphoon that looked like that, but who knows.
Here's a Wikipedia pic of a Bb xaphoon:

There's that hole again. So far I haven't found any explanation for it, but it doesn't seem to be a universal feature. It certainly looks like too much of a stretch to be a finger hole, doesn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
Katharine wrote:Looking again, perhaps not a chalumeau but a xaphoon?
Could be. Most xaphoons tend to have a plainer profile, though, and that's why I assumed it might be a chalumeau. OTOH, a quick look at Google Images suggests that chalumeaux tend to have at least a couple of keys, so maybe it's hoitier and toitier xaphoon. I know next to nothing about these instruments, otherwise; but I did learn that although "xaphoon" is used rather loosely by the public, it is actually a proprietary name and only a few companies are allowed to use it commercially, so were you to start making and selling them, you would probably have to name them something else to avoid stepping on any toes.
Katharine wrote:If that top "lone" hole is actually a finger hole? Never saw a xaphoon that looked like that, but who knows.
Here's a Wikipedia pic of a Bb xaphoon:

There's that hole again. So far I haven't found any explanation for it, but it doesn't seem to be a universal feature. It certainly looks like too much of a stretch to be a finger hole, doesn't it.
Precisely. The only other xaphoons (or as they seem to sometimes be called, "pocket sax") I've seen have been plastic: https://www.xaphoon.com/products/pocket ... ssic-black (I love the blue one!: https://www.xaphoon.com/products/maui-x ... sax-cobalt) But the holes sure look the same.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
FrankPerrone
Tell us something.: Played sax and oboe in high school. Years later, living in apartment, decided to take up recorder as I thought it would be easier on neighbors than oboe. Been playing recorder for a few years. Have sopranino (Aulos), soprano (Mollenhauer Prima, Susato), alto (Yamaha 300, Mollanhauer Prima, Mollenhauer Denner Pallisander, Zen-on Giglio), tenor (Adler) and bass (Yamaha). Also have a lot of whistles but never really cracked (ha ha) the code as whistle technique is quite different from recorder technique. I also have a lot of harmonicas and world wind instruments (Ba Wu, Dudek, Sipsi and Nose Flute (!).

Xaphoon And Its Fingerholes

Post by FrankPerrone »

Photo Nanohedron posted is a bamboo Xaphoon. Not sure what that is in original post. Something of the same ilk.
Xaphoon has a interesting tone. I imagine a chalumeau might sound like it. I never really played it much. The top hole is for left index finger. Left thumb hole is between first and second hole on front. Thumb hole is NOT an octave hole as one might surmise. Left hand position was very awkward for me...there was always some hole leaking. Overall fingering scheme is not like most woodwinds I play. It is almost better for someone that never played a woodwind, less "unlearning" to do.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Not for me either
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It didn't ever work for those of us in Europe, I think. (I'd tried it even before your reply.)
Katharine wrote:Maybe the links to the individual pictures?
Still no good.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Ah, I already suspected it might be country/domain specific.