Anybody recognize this unusual instrument?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
michaelpthompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Anybody recognize this unusual instrument?

Post by michaelpthompson »

My son and grandson came back from the thrift store one day. "Thought you'd be interested in this." they said, and I was.
It seems to be some sort of walking stick flute. Five finger holes.
And a really weird mouthpiece.
You blow into the hole on the smaller tube and the air goes into the larger one, and over a channel similar to the one under the block in a Native American flute, but there's no block.
I forgot to take a photo of the channel. There are also two holes near the end, like direction or tuning holes.

I'm not entirely sure how to play it. You kind of have to hold the small tube to blow into it which leaves only one hand to cover finger holes. Not sure how you would do the lower ones.

Anybody ever see anything like this, or played one, or can even tell me anything about it? It has me intrigued.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Anybody recognize this unusual instrument?

Post by Nanohedron »

It's a fujara of some stripe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujara
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

How cool is that? It also explains why I couldn't figure out how to play it. I was trying to blow it transverse, but the photo shows it to be played vertically. I'll have to work on this. Now, to find some sheep.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
michaelpthompson

Just watching some YouTube videos about Fujara. Very similar to mine, but with some interesting differences. For one thing, I think I need a small mouthpiece and a leather tie to hold the sound pipe. For another, the ones played in Slovakia seem to be much bigger than what I have. But the main puzzle is that on mine, there are five sound holes, whereas the traditional Fujara uses three. Plus, mine are on the same side of the flute as the sound pipe. Not sure how you'd finger that. Definitely related, but there seems to be some divergence here.

It's apparently placed with some vocalization, much like the didgeridoo, from where much of the melody comes. At least that's what it sounded like to me. Guess I need to do more research.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Very cool, I had no idea such a thing as a Fujara existed.
FrankPerrone
Tell us something.: Played sax and oboe in high school. Years later, living in apartment, decided to take up recorder as I thought it would be easier on neighbors than oboe. Been playing recorder for a few years. Have sopranino (Aulos), soprano (Mollenhauer Prima, Susato), alto (Yamaha 300, Mollanhauer Prima, Mollenhauer Denner Pallisander, Zen-on Giglio), tenor (Adler) and bass (Yamaha). Also have a lot of whistles but never really cracked (ha ha) the code as whistle technique is quite different from recorder technique. I also have a lot of harmonicas and world wind instruments (Ba Wu, Dudek, Sipsi and Nose Flute (!).

Post by FrankPerrone »

Hello Michael:

Yes, it looks like a fujara. I tried a web search for "five hole" fujara but haven't found anything yet. I did find this website that has a lot of information on Slovak flutes: https://www.slavorum.org/fujara-and-oth ... ak-flutes/.

Being a folk instrument I guess a maker could use any length and number of fingerholes that met his requirements.

Frank P.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Sorry for my bad english...
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That's it! So interesting. Is the Moseno a fipple flute, or an embouchure flute? It's hard to tell from the videos and descriptions.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

The first paragraph of the article says its a fipple flute.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I stand corrected!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
michaelpthompson

Like the Fujara, there are similarities and differences. The Moseño in the video is larger than mine, and the blow pipe is proportionally longer. In addition, I see a key near the end. Mine has no key. Perhaps just individual variants, I don't know.

On mine, the place where you blow is on the same side of the flute as the sound holes. This makes it impossible to play vertically like the Fujara. When I get home, I'll try to play it at an angle like the guy in the Moseño video and see if that works better.

It's kind of amazing that this is so similar to instruments from such disparate locations as Slovakia and South America. I mention the latter because the Moseño is also associated with Argentina, Peru, and Chile.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!