Any clarinettists using synthetic reeds?

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Any clarinettists using synthetic reeds?

Post by AuLoS303 »

The one bugbear with the clarinet is its dependence on a good reed. You can get a box of 3 and only one might be useable. And if you're not a highly qualified player its hard to know what is a good reed and what's bad!
Anyway I currently favour Rico Royals grade 2.5 - I tried Vandoren blue packet in grade 2, but I found them really difficult to get a consistent tone without my ears blowing out!
So I was thinking of getting a synthetic reed, a Ligere or similar. Many pro players use them, even oboists, and they have the advantage of not needing to be wetted beforehand. The drawback is the price - about £30 for one (european cut, regular cut is cheaper but not as good I'm told)
But you buy one and it lasts much longer than conventional reeds.
Any members on here use them?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Any clarinettists using synthetic reeds?

Post by PB+J »

My daughter uses on with her alto sax, partly because it's ready to go right away and se we can leave it on the sax for spontaneous practice. her teacher, a local pro who Ive; done gigs with (on bass) says he frequently uses a plastic reed when he has to double on sax and clarinet, because he can leave the instrument sitting and it's ready to go when he needs to play it, rather than having to go through the whole moistening the reed bit.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

oleorezinator wrote:Try these first.
http://www.fibracelldirect.com/index.htm
Yea I've seen fibracell elsewhere. Unfortunately thats a US site and I'm in the UK, but there are sellers over here. (Online of course...)
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog