Converting a recorder into a chalumeau

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Converting a recorder into a chalumeau

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:But don't expect matching these to make it better because they still don't belong together!
I think AuLoS303 should find that out for himself, too, just to confirm the point. And besides, I wanna see duct tape. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote: I'm not an instrument maker ... but it seems to me that there must be a lot more going on to give a recorder "its unique tone" than just having a conical bore. Otherwise, how come conical bore whistles don't sound like recorders?
Recorders have a reverse conical bore. Even so it would be interesting to see how a recorder with a straight bore would sound. Whistle-like?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: I'm not an instrument maker ... but it seems to me that there must be a lot more going on to give a recorder "its unique tone" than just having a conical bore. Otherwise, how come conical bore whistles don't sound like recorders?
Recorders have a reverse conical bore. Even so it would be interesting to see how a recorder with a straight bore would sound. Whistle-like?
The point is that masses and masses of whistles also have a conical bore. But they don't sound like recorders - they sound like whistles. And, as has been pointed out above by someone more knowledgeable than me, it's not the bore (or, at any rate, not principally the bore) that creates the recorder-like sound of a recorder.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:Recorders have a reverse conical bore. Even so it would be interesting to see how a recorder with a straight bore would sound. Whistle-like?
No! Do you know why I said the baroque recorder has a complex conical (reverse-tapered) bore? Have you tried Googling recorder cylindrical bore? No, didn't think so...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Peter Duggan wrote:The Reed Trombone, mixing brass and woodwind mouthpieces
The Tromboon! Bassoon and Trombone mashup

Plenty of tape in use here, but take heed of Trent Hamilton when he says at the end of the first of these videos:
'So I guess after all these experiments the conclusion that we must draw is that, when you're playing one of these instruments, whether it be a baritone or a trombone or a sax or a clarinet or whatever, the mouthpiece that you should best use just so happens to be the one that they've been using all along.'
Not in all cases.
Mr. Hamilton clearly didn't do his homework
Maybe he should shut his trap and open his ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmjh4qkEZY

Scroll to 3:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQzDud85t1E

This one is more like old Trent,
but much more musical.
Mats Gustafsson on fluteophone
Scroll to 37:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5hMM6LOE8

http://www.doctorsax.biz/EddieHarris_ReedTrumpetMpc.htm
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

As a general rule, for most of us playing most things, I'd still say he's right. Whatever you think of his playing, which I'd concede is not always great.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Peter Duggan wrote:As a general rule, for most of us playing most things, I'd still say he's right. Whatever you think of his playing, which I'd concede is not always great.
Absolutely he's right. Eddie Harris stands alone.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... index.html
This is exactly what Yamaha has been doing with the Venova -- however it's more of a saxophone mouthpiece. It plays like a recorder. I have one but don't play it much. IMO it can be a little tricky to reach the lowest notes but that's probably just my missing skills :D .
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sedi wrote:This is exactly what Yamaha has been doing with the Venova
No, it's not. See what Nano said:
Nanohedron wrote:A big mistake is to look at a woodwind and say, "It's just a tube with holes; can't be that big of a deal."
And consider that again.

'Yamaha developed a unique branched pipe structure and meandering pipe design that give the Venova a surprisingly rich saxophone-like tone and an amazingly compact size.'

A recorder is a recorder, a chalumeau is a chalumeau, a Venova is a Venova, and...

A recorder body with a clarinet mouthpiece is a recorder body with a clarinet mouthpiece!

Master of nine?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Ehm, the Venova has the same fingering as a recorder. Of course it is a specifically designed instrument. I think it's quite clear form the pictures that they didn't simply put a clarinet mouthpiece on a recorder -- but they did combine the fingering of a recorder with a reed-mouthpiece -- so just saying -- if that's what the OP wants, he simply can buy one.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sedi wrote:if that's what the OP wants
It doesn't appear to be when he's specifically asking about shuffling bits he's got already. The topic is 'Converting a recorder into a chalumeau' and Yamaha haven't converted a recorder into a chalumeau, so not surprising I misunderstood you.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Cleanup in progress - Mod.