easiest brand alto to finger

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
jeffrey armbruster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

easiest brand alto to finger

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

In researching alto recorders I read that the Aulos Haka model has a more difficult reach than another model. When I briefly tried an alto in a shop I was surprised at the difficulty I had reaching the bottom hole with my pinky. Maybe I'm making too much of this and a week or two of practice resolves this whole issue. I tend to overthink. But since I want to acquire an alto--plastic--is there a brand (Yamaha or Aulos for example) that has easier reaches?

p.s. it could be that I was holding my hands wrong when I tried the alto and this is one source of my problem.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: easiest brand alto to finger

Post by AuLoS303 »

I find the reach on my Yamaha YRA312B to be very playable. It is the only alto I've played tho and it did take some getting used to after playing soprano. (I did have an Aulos 211 tenor-that was just too much of a stretch for me)
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

thanks Aulos. A friend gifted me a nice Yamaha alto and after playing it a bit last night I realize that the stretch will soon be a non-issue. I love the deep tone compared to my soprano! Now I'm going to look on-line to see if I can tell which model it is--no indication that I can tell on the case or body or on the leaflet that comes with the recorder.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

jeffrey armbruster wrote:thanks Aulos. A friend gifted me a nice Yamaha alto and after playing it a bit last night I realize that the stretch will soon be a non-issue. I love the deep tone compared to my soprano! Now I'm going to look on-line to see if I can tell which model it is--no indication that I can tell on the case or body or on the leaflet that comes with the recorder.
What colour case is it?
jeffrey armbruster

AuLoS303 wrote:
jeffrey armbruster wrote:thanks Aulos. A friend gifted me a nice Yamaha alto and after playing it a bit last night I realize that the stretch will soon be a non-issue. I love the deep tone compared to my soprano! Now I'm going to look on-line to see if I can tell which model it is--no indication that I can tell on the case or body or on the leaflet that comes with the recorder.
What colour case is it?
Off white. But the thing is, the case seems quite worn while the recorder appears perfect. For example no bite marks. Also, there was no wax on the joints and the wax tin was never used. The tin and the cleaning rod were in a sealed plastic bag that I had to break to open. It was owned by a woman who taught music; she hadn't used it for years. It's possible the recorder didn't come with this case, but I don't know. It's dark chocolate colored with no white fittings; all dark. I can't find an example of an all chocolate Yamaha alto on line. It's probably an older iteration but rarely or never played 300 series of some sort....?
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Have a look on here, a minefield for recorder info

http://www.saundersrecorders.com/
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jeffrey armbruster wrote:It's dark chocolate colored with no white fittings; all dark.
YRA-28?

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/YRA-2 ... M-YRA28BUK

(We've got some older, plainer brown Yamahas at school that might or might not be earlier 20 series.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jeffrey armbruster

We have a winner! It's the 28b iii, which seems to be made all white these days. I like the dark chocolate better. Thanks Peter!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

That looks similar to my YRA211B, a fine instrument